Review: Wilson Audio Grand Slamm Speaker

Category: Speakers

Since this is a site largely based on trading second hand products, I thought it worthwhile to share one man's experience with a sensational speaker that is much, much older...and fortunately much, much depreciated in value when I traded in for it! The theme here is do not bypass much older products just because they are older technology!

First, let me preface that i am not making ANY claims about "best"...only my own conviction abouy how things sound to ME and MY EARS. Now off to the review!

INTRO
The Grand Slamms are 16 years old...wow. (The original owner bought them 1994, listened a bit...then put them in storage when he moved countries...the plastic film on the piano gloss laminate was still on after 16 years when they arrived! The finish is Mint! The feet had never even been attached.)

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
With an ear that prefers my Zanden DAC, CJ pre-amp, Gryphon Antileon and Sonus Faber STradivari sound, you can imagine i like warmth (but also a fair amount of technical capability.)

IMHO, relative to every speaker (save Alexandria) the Wilson Grand Slamm produces the reference sound for my ears.

Capabilities
- Musicality. I will state i have never considered buying any Watt Puppy or Maxx I or II...not my cup of tea. I liked Sasha but still preferred my STrads by a margin.

I never associated them with musicality only accuracy...i have preferred even colored musicality (whatever that means!)

HOW and WHY?
- Effortless, effortless, effortless. Wilson to my ear achieves musicality by creating indefatiguable, inexhaustable, inert obelisques that allow sound to pass through them as if the obelisques were not there. Nothing phases these speakers...it's just sound passing through
- Specifically to date, no sound, no dynamic, no cymbal brush, no whisper, no crash, no reverb seems to pass through with any edits.
- there appears to be no compression of sound
- the Grand Slamm also is able to allow for instrumental separation...not just delineation of instruments into their own space...but also their own rhthym, subtle volume contrasts between notes...each musician is playing separately through the speakers, and the speakers do not confuse any one musician over the other...creating internal musical cues which i'd never even heard before
- Seamless integration across the spectrum...no one area stands out. which means music again just passes through without emphasis of one area or another
- soundstage...lifelike. it is surprising when someone sings live in front of you how "big" they seem when you close your eyes. The Grand Slamm really does approximate this stunningly well even on choral masses, and certainly on good studio recordings of small ensembles, trios, etc
- neutrality...by this i mean sound passing through as it seems to have been recorded (not that i would know but it certainly feels that way based on comparison to live instruments i do know from either having played them for 12 years, etc.)...again, sound is just passing thru

Set up
- Smokes!!!!!!!!!! This is by far, by far, by FAR the most critical thing about these!
- And we are not just talking about scientic "art is science" placement.
- The distributor's top man came with the GM of the Dealership and spent nearly 8 hours in my home
- They even soldered in different resistors (twice!) for the tweeter in order to emphasize/de-emphasize the treble to accommodate the treble dispersion capability of my room. it is that sensitive to set-up.
- But once they finished measuring angles, taking into consideration side wall reflections, the shape of my living room, etc, and then tweaking the resistors...wow. it went from great, to big to impressive...to Smokes!!!!!!!!!!

Conclusion
If you look at the incomplete list of speakers i have had the fortunate opportunity to get know to a greater or lesser extent over 25 years, some are old and some are new. All are very, very good.

To me, the Wilson X-1,Grand Slamm is the reference to my ears.

Finally, i come back to the main point of this Review. In support of what many of us are here for (second hand), i firmly reinforce the notion that much older products can still be references in today's world when done well. In truth, one has to acknowledge that manufacturers are running a business...and they need to get consumers to buy new products, upgrade, etc...and they must therefore market the "newer is better" motto.

In many cases, this is absolutely true...but i think many of us have seen the benefit of the fact that depreciation sometimes is greater than the degradation of quality!!! A product that has depreciated in half is certainly not half as good as a new speaker...and in my own personal experience in this case, this much older speaker is still the greatest speaker i have had the blessing to hear and now own.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

Associated gear
Oppo 83 Blu-Ray, Upgrade Audio Modded
Zanden DAC
CJ ACT 2
Gryphon Antileon
Transparent Ref IC/SC
PAD Dominus/Ann Contego PC
Transp Ref Conditioner

Similar products
Wilson Alexandria
Rockport Merak/Sheritan
YG Acoustics Anat Prof
Hansen Prince
Martin Logan CLX
Sonus Faber Stradivari
Thiel 7
B&W 800/801/802
Wilson Maxx II, Watt 6,7,8, Sasha
lloydelee21
A quick update having now had the speakers in situ for around 35 hours of listening.

1) They are sooo effortless, you can easily turn the volume up with no distortion...so even though the music does not FEEL loud, it actually is. very dangerous to your hearing!!!!!!!!!

2) believe it or not, i find i still use the Velodyne DD18 sub on music! The key is i need to turn the low-pass crossover to 35 hz with a steep cutoff (48db). And i do NOT use the internal crossover!...but run the Velodyne in parallel.

What happens with the Velodyne is that it provides a very controlled tight rumble on deep bass tracks (a lot more than one would think if you listen to electronic, even orchesteral) that is very satisfying and fills the void (for bass freaks).

in fact, i find having put that back into my system, i do not feel the need to turn the volume up as much anymore. save my hearing!

3) muting and unmuting the Velodyne on the same tracks...i can confirm i get all of the detail on the bass drum kick from the Slamms.

4) Note, on the volume scale, i keep the Velodyne on 8...extremely low. Even going up one notch to 9 (out of 40+?) starts to overpower the Wilsons and i lose a touch of the bass drum kick detail in the rumble.

5) hence, i can see why Wilson developed their own subs...not just for video but even for certain audio.

hope that is helpful to those looking at full range speakers and subs.
Hi Vernneal,

Nice system! i never had the chance to hear the Thiel 2.3s but one of my favorites of the earlier line was the 2.2. I recall comparing it to a good whisky. Great punch, linearity and also body to the music. Looks like the 2.3 came out around 5 years later. i see you're contemplating 3.7 at some point in the future. have heard equally great things about those. enjoy!
Update: after just under 100 hours of listening, the speakers actually seem to be breaking in! Partly, this is because 2 drivers had their foam surrounds replaced...partly could it be that the original owner really did not spend that much time listening to them?

in any event, the lower mids/upper bass (where the new foam surrounds breaking in would be critical), is "warming up and filling out". The rich sound/reverb from the body of the cello is filling in now...in addition to the playing of the strings on the cello.

I stand by my original statement of nearly 3 years ago...the Grand Slamm matches my Sonus Faber Strads for musicality, warmth and delivers greater detail, much greater microdynamics...and significantly greater scale, macrodynamics. i did not think this musicality/warmth that i enjoyed so much with the Strads was possible to hear in these speakers, but having had the benefit of truly expert set-up by Pedro and Arif (Absolute Sounds and KJ West One), it is. Enjoy everyone!!!!!