Here is how we roll in Cali:

Father's Office, Los Angeles
Hodad's, San Diego
In-N-Out, Baldwin Park
TK Burger, Costa Mesa
Jalama Beach Grill, Santa Barbara

How do you roll?
bongofury
I think the best "non-gourmet" burger I have had anywhere is definitely In-N-Out burger.

We need to get them here in Houston.

That said, I was just in Philly, and went to Daleassandros for the best cheese steak (actually the best sandwich) I have ever had. We blew off a super expensive steak dinner the next night with customers, and drove back over to there for more cheese steaks and beers.
Macdad

Love that place. I also love Joe Boston's in Chicago for Italian Beef and the Gibson Brothers in Santa Maria style tri-tip.

Concerning Houston, I love Dot's Coffeeshop for their chicken fried. Amazingly good.
I don't know Macdad, the best sandwich? I'd have to say it came from a Jewish deli, like
5) Art's in B.H. or Studio City
4) Mort's in Pacific Palisades
3) Shep's on Pico (I think it's gone)
2) Carnegie (N.Y.)
1) Webbie's on Laurel Cyn and Ventura (*sniff* gone...)
and was probably a hot brisket/pastrami combo with coleslaw, swiss cheese and Russian dressing on rye or onion.
Or maybe a tongue/liverwurst combo.
Non Jewish deli mentionables:
The Tam O'Shanter on Los Feliz has a GREAT sandwich board, and is a pretty good restaurant too. Owned by Lawry's, so the prime rib is terrific, too.
Here in Phoenix there are a couple of places, Luke's and Guido's, that make outstanding Italian beef/sausage combo sandwiches (ALWAYS with peppers and provalone).
My dad was born and raised in Upper Darby, Pa. I have no excuse for not getting over there one day to try real Philly cheese-steak.
Post removed 
More to discover