Tascam DA-3000

HI to everyone.
I have 1500 albums that I would like to transfer on to MD
Recorder but I was adviced by one of fellow Audiogoner that the best option would be Tascam DA-3000.
I searched a little bit and it sounds like a good idea but there is a problem. Every 2GB of data the files would be cut
so I would need the software to fix that. Maybe I didn't
understand what he was trying to explain since I never used
that kind of recorders.
I would appreciate opinions.
topten
Rodge827

Unfortunately, the transformers only impact the output of the D/A stage, and have no impact on the input analog buffers (all those op amps) coupled to each other with electrolytic caps. Those buffers are between you signal source and what gets digitally recorded.

I can see their argument about the digital hardware only recording without the need for a computer. I may keep it just for that, but still use an Ayre or Benchmark to run digital into the Tascam bypassing its input stages. Although its kind of expensive substitute for a computer these days.
DTC:

I suspect the Ayre will work fine. I am leaning toward keeping the Tascam for simply converting digital from an Ayre QA-9 or maybe a Benchmark ADC1 to .wav files, because the variables of the computer conversions of USB data streams are eliminated.

I think Audio Advisor carries Benchmark and maybe I can get one to try out. If it does not work, I'd be back to finding and (paying for) the Ayre.
Music Direct and Benchmark themselves also have trial periods.

I agree I would rather go straight to disk, but if you have a computer near by you can go direct. All you are sending is the bits, the timing is not an issue. For the price of the Tascam you can even buy a PC and then transfer to your main system over Ethernet. You could even use the PC as your music player if you do not have one already.

I'll be interested in the results you get from the Benchmark.

If you happen to be in the Boston area, you can try my Korg.
DTC:
Spoke with an engineer at Benchmark today. Extremely knowledgeable and very straightforward with me. When asked about the analog front end he told me they did extensive listening tests and originally settled on the AD797, but switched to LME49860 which was even better. He agreed the performance of the analog front end was critical to the sound quality. They use one electrolytic coupling capacitor in the entire chain, and it is triple bypassed with film caps and NPO ceramics (which is unusual due the cost of NPOs).

He mentioned that the 5532 is long outdated (fine in the 80's) but op amp development has left this part far behind.

He agreed that recording to the Tascam would be the preferred method, because some PCs with Windows OS can mess with the sampling frequency (using software driver frequency converters) and you may not even know it. There may also be hardware issues with the USB ports re data reliability. Remember that connecting a USB cable from a computer to an audio device enables high frequency noise an entrance to your audio device (unless you optically couple like Ayre does).

The Benchmark has a word clock output that can be hard wired to the Tascam word clock input to synchronize the clocks. The Ayre only has this on the uber expensive pro model.

So it looks like I may order one from Audio Advisors because I could return it if I don't like it. Not so lucky with the Tascam as the seller wants a 15% restocking fee, so I may keep it just as a hardware recorder.

Also, apologies to TOP TEN for high-jacking his thread.