wattage

I have seen prior threads on this, but none recently that can answer how many watts from an amp are truly necessary.
Take an inefficient speaker, say 86 w/db. at 98 db (which will harm hearing when sustained) 16 watts would be required. Even doubling this to account for transients would be available at 32 watts. Strickly
from an engineering standpoint, are more than 40 watts really necessary? No audiophile terms like bloom, and slam needed.
Regards.
RJ
tennisdoc40
For more information...
This link should take you to the white paper on distortion and timing issues...

http://h-cat.com/whitepaper.html

Roger
While I agree that all electronics causes some phase shift of the music signal, I believe that the most flagrant violator of phase distortion is the speaker. Once the listener has corrected this then I would venture to fix the phase shift from the electronics.
The comments posted by our tech members make a lot of sense. Another reason to favor more rather than less power is explained in the following article:

http://www.stereophile.com/reference/707heavy#QkkXpriWl5kEQaa2.97

The article speaks of an amp's "safe operating area (SOA)," which is really relevant when one considers that some speakers can present really tough loads. Or using the lingo of the article, if a speakers presents very low impedance and a highly negative phase angles, especially in the low frequency/power range spectrum, the amp could be pushed beyond its SOA, and thereby produce distortion.

Just an aside, my amp is rated at 150+ WPC, and has a very robust power supply of 1040 joules. So if the amp is asked to drive a low frequency transient, it will have the power to muscle its way through the passage ... most of the time, ... my poor ears permitting.

I am not suggesting that unless one picks up a monster Bryston or Krell amp, he's doing injustice to his rig. Instead, all I'm saying is that one should be cognizant of the electrical properties of his speakers and choose an amp that can drive the speakers at comfortable/enjoyable SPLs in the amp's SOA.
Believe it or not - there is far more problems in the electronics than in the transducers. (mic or speaker)

The inability to locate a sound object when played through a "system" is 90% the fault of the amplifying equipment. Localizing cues naturally embedded in the source material are skewed during the amplifying process. This makes it impossible to reproduce the venue with enough accuracy to be accepted as live.

Roger