Please...Advice For The Speakerly Challenged

Hello all.

Well, I have been shopping around South Central Texas (Austin and San Antonio) audio dealers for a new set of speakers as an upgrade to replace my aging Klipsch KG-5.5's. Unfortunately, there seems to be a shortage of new speakers to audition in my neck of the woods when considering the seemingly astronomical numbers of manufacturers these days. What I hope to gain here is advice from knowledgeable audiophiles who may have heard the speakers I have auditioned. Perhaps said audiophiles could then recommend other brands I have not heard to consider buying based on what I have already heard. Hopefully I am making sense. I like rock, jazz, classical, world, new age and electronic more than any other genres. My budget is up to $4000, but I would like to hold it down to less than 3k if possible. I would definitely consider buying good used speakers. I am currently using a pair of solid state 200 watt/ch monoblocks for power.

What I have always liked about Klipsch speakers is the great dynamics, wide soundstage, good detail and deep bass response. What I have not been crazy about is the somewhat harsh upper mids and a boomy spike in the mid bass with my KG's (could be a mode). I really detest speakers that have a boxy coloration more than anything else, much preferring a neutral sound.

Here are the speakers I have auditioned so far:

Paradigm Monitor 7 - a fine little floorstander, but I worry that it will not fill a larger room to my liking.

Paradigm Studio 60 and 100 - Really liked the 60 and loved the 100. Really liked the 100 with jazz, rock and new age. Could be a little better with detail.

Dynaudio Excite X32 - I absolutely loved this speaker. It was the most detailed I have heard under 4K, with wonderful mids and outstanding tonal balance. Would only like a little fuller bottom end, but this is a minor quibble with this one. The next model above X36 might just fit my bill, but the dealer had none in stock.

Polk Audio RTI-A9 - Sounded thin and looked somewhat cheap, probably because it was. I really expected more based on reviews, but I guess I should not have. Likely the room acoustics were a big factor though, as I listened to them at Fry's, ugh.

PSB Synchrony 2. I really liked this speaker, but I listened back and forth against the Dynaudio, and it just did not measure up against the Excite X32 overall to my ear.

Vienna Acoustics Mozart. This speaker had a lot to like including accuracy, detail, soundstage and balance, but it had a little boxy sound that put me off. I also thought it was overpriced.

Martin Logan. Listened to several models and liked none. Good mids including nice vocal reproduction, but did not like much else.

B&W 684. This was perhaps the very worst mid or hi-fi loudspeaker I have ever heard. To my ear it sounded like lo-fi crap. I know there are good B&W speakers, but not this one. I thought it was blown, but it was auditioned in a high end home theater store. Extremely overpriced IMO.

Magnepan 1.7 - This was a very fine speaker, but I just can't abide the looks. I would also have to buy a quick sub too, which considering their cost might not be a big problem.

Klipsch RF-83 - I really liked this speaker. It was similar in sound to my KG 5.5's, but with a little less clarity in the bottom end, which was a negative. The mids and highs were better than my current Klipsch speakers.

For any who are still with me, could you lend advice on what I should consider in addition to the above and based upon what I have liked in these speakers. Thanks so much.
chap_cat
To Hesson11: I would wager deadening material was not added to those speakers. They would have been awesome had they not had that boxiness. The dealer rep made no mention of that whatsoever. All else considered, had they sounded neutral, they would have been awesome.
Have you gone to Galen Carol Audio? Check out the audiophile groups in Austin I am sure someone has some of the speakers you want to hear and will let you take a listen.

I know if you are in Houston, you are welcome to listen at my Casa. Also, Sound World in Houston carries a ton of great gear, including the Paradigm Sig S8, which for what you seem to be looking for, it right at the top of the list.

It's a great speaker.
Have you gone to Galen Carol Audio? Check out the audiophile groups in Austin I am sure someone has some of the speakers you want to hear and will let you take a listen.

I know if you are in Houston, you are welcome to listen at my Casa. Also, Sound World in Houston carries a ton of great gear, including the Paradigm Sig S8, which for what you seem to be looking for, it right at the top of the list.

I saw Galen about two years ago when I was looking for a new tube amp. I wanted a Jolida, but he had none in stock nor any other tube gear at the time. He wanted to sell me solid state, but I did not want SS in the wattage range I could afford then. I have since recently sold my tube gear and have gone solid state. Hehe, go figure.

While there, I listened to a pair of Epos monitors, and a pair of Spendor S5e smallish floor standers. I remember being blown away by a magnificent pair of Quad 989 electrostatics. They were the finest speakers I have heard to date. Since I was there to audition amps and CD players, I did not pay quite as much attention to the speakers.

I would like to go back for another visit before I decide what to buy to hear the Spendor S8e, Quad 22L2 and Reference3A Veena. He may still get my business yet.

Also, thanks for the invite. I just listened to the new Magnepan 1.7 and really liked their sound. I would wager those MG-3.6r Maggies sound awesome. How would you compare the two if you have heard them both?
the 3.6r are definitely a level above the 1.7's, deeper and more solid base, and more coherent. I think the top ends are about equal, the 1.7's are really speacial. Both need HUGE power to sound their best. But they are not for everyone, I undersand the aesthtic problem with them.

for what you want, I don't think the Maggies are what you are looking for. I am not a huge Spendor fan, but I do love the Vienna Acoustics, and once again suggest a used Paradigm Sig S8.

good luck
How about the dunlavy scIII's that are listed for sale;I had a pair of these and drove them with tubes and solid state;mccormack dna-1 mono's were my amps at that time and they performed quite nicely.