budget towers? $500/pair

I am a novice in the knowledge of world of high-end audio equipment. I am looking to buy two very budget-minded towers that will fill a small/medium sized room for movies/music. I have a set of yamaha HS80m studio monitors along with the matching sub, and I am very happy with how these sound within a 5' foot range (i.e at my desk mixing music etc). However, these speakers do not seem to have a room filling sound any farther away than a desk seated position in relation to them on account that they are near-field monitors. Does anyone have advice as to whether or not I should stick it out with current monitors or upgrade to a 2.1 tower config for movies/music and if so which brand/model?
klemke89
Another option, NHT 2.5i. A pair is for sale for $529, but I've seen them go in the $400 range. Great speakers, especially at that price.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1274030583&/NHT-2.5i-Floorstanding-Speaker
Take a look at your local craigslist. Good stuff does come up occasionally. I got my NHT classic fours that way for about what you want to spend.

Mark
Check out tsto.com

Michael does a great job with close-out pricing on floorstanders from Mission,Wharfedale and Mordaunt Short all for less than $500.
If you can stretch your budget to around $ 750 (with a bit of bargaining), try to spot a Polk Audio LSi 15. Forget about the Polk name, this is a serious speaker that will compete with many 2 to 4K ones and beat them. An absolute steal for the price. Read up on it...
vandersteen 2c and 2ci are in your range. Read some reviews about these speakers, and about 1st order crossovers and time and phase alignment. You would be hard pressed to get better sound for the budget than a used Vandy. Don't expect a looker...the cost is in the drivers and the sound, rather than a cabinet.