Sub users...

I am considering a sub, I have never used one. Something I wonder about though is, certain songs will have drums playing in just one channel, like track 3 on the Dave Brubeck CD "Time Out", it has a cool drum "solo" in the left channel, and other CD's will have drums that will bounce back and forth between the two channels. When using a sub, does this still sound natural?

Brian
brianmgrarcom
you can try the subs with your speakers running full range and fill in the botoom ie 35-60 hz and down or get an external xover which I use and get increase in dynamics etc from your mains --2 schools of thought on this with lots of opinions either way --you just have to try and decide which way you like it---rich--glad the little one is dancing :)
Can you expalin possible negative effects of running the mains full range?

Possible problems are matching the large LF phase swings in your mains (due to the double ported design) and/or too much bass at some frequencies.

FWIW: I use the sub to fill-in because I want to take advantage of the different room placement of the sub to allow it to reduce suckouts at the listening position due to inevitable room rear wall reflections and room modes from a symmetric placement of the full range mains. I think this is the best approach if you have good full range speakers and a sub that matches (the drivers and overdamped tuning in my sub precisely match the mains - differing by only a few hertz at resonance). The only reason to restrict full range speakers with a crossover would be in the case of small satellite speakers with 6 inch woofers that can't really handle the LF.

A sub can easily be EQ'd with a Paremetric Equalizer (or TACT or PARC) so that it "fills-in" leaving a pure unfiltered signal to go to your mains. Some subs come with great auto-EQ features. For other less sophisticated subs you can look up Room EQ Wizard for suggestions.

The essential thing is to get a sub that integrates with your speakers! If your speaker resonates and has a highish group delay then a sub that is overdamped and does not resonate will be a waste of money (huge expense for poor SPL output that is tighter than the bass from your mains and therefore a largely inaudible benefit)

According to this article, [url=http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/920/index6.html]the WATT/Puppy 7 offers enigmatic measured performance[/url]. This is why it might be safest to get a Wilson sub that is designed to go with them. This speaker is not designed to easily integrate with a sub, IMHO.
Shardone, you must have missed my previous post, I will not be using the subs with W/P's, I need to update my page; I will use them with Ridge Street Sason speakers, a stand mount two-way. Thanks, Brian
will not be using the subs with W/P's

Oops sorry - if they make a matching sub then I'd recommend that.

In the meantime, I found a good example of what typically happens to phase and group delay in different type designs of bass response. It is worth remembering that when you add a sub to full range mains that you may be trying to integrate responses from two completely different designs (different delays of phase). Note how the phase response really separates below 40 Hz for different tuning.

So depending on the different design between speaker and sub you might be out by as much as 90 degrees or more (quarter wavelength) at 20 Hz and yet in phase at 80 Hz or vice versa.