Vandersteen 7 Flagship at CES

The Vandy 7s were introduced at CES and seemed to have created quite a stir.

Vandersteen 7

Any of you hear these speakers and care to report? How do they sound compared to the 5As?
128x128zargon
David,
The 5A drivers and crossover can be upgraded to the new 7 drivers and new crossover. However, it must be done at the factory since the crossovers are individually tailored to the drivers via testing in an anachoic chamber. I have yet to hear the price.

Gawdbless,
Don't forget the crossovers are new and the cabinet is a complete remake over the 5A. Also, I understand there is a great deal of hand labor in turning the balsa and forming the cones for each driver. I'm not justifying the price, just pointing out that it is more than just a bit of 'carbon fiber/balsa wood mix'.

Sonofjim,
I am also looking forward to hearing the new drivers in a 5A! That will be a challenge, since it is unlikely that a dealer will do such a thing. It would have to be at a willing Audiogon members room.
I agree that the 7 sounded fab at the show. As to bemoaning the cost, Richard Vandersteen prices everything based upon the cost of constructing, and his multiplier is below the industry standard (consistent with the brand's value-oriented reputation). Accordingly, the cost of building the 7 is, quite simply, almost 3x the cost of producing the 5A. The cones themselves (before voice coils and the accompanying Scan Speak motors) cost enough to represent about $10K at retail. Based upon my discussion with Richard, any upgrade of the new drivers/crossover to the 5/5A will only be offered (when, I don't know) to original owners, and won't be cheap given the cost of the components to be upgraded. - Pete -
Zargon, I am sure there is more than my very simplistic synopsis view point of the 7 speaker.
Just another speaker to add to the 'got to listen to' list.
Will owners of the 5 go for the upgrade?
Would I go for the upgrade? Good question. It depends a lot on the price and what others say about the sound of the upgrade as I'm unlikely to hear these myself without owning them. I dread the idea of packing up my 5As and shipping them to California but I know it's been done by plenty for the 5 to 5A upgrade. Also, if the upgrade costs $15,000 or more and I could sell my 5As for $10,000-$12,000 it's getting close to the point where maybe spending the extra on the 7s is worth it for the carbon fiber cabinets and resale potential. For now, I'm just trying to remember that the 5A is still an awfully good speaker.
"Trying to remember?" Come on they ARE a great speaker that only Alzheimers could erase a memory of.....make no mistake you are a lucky man Sonofjim!
Richard has and always will be one of the most stand up guys in the business, armchair quaterbacking is great for someone who needs self vindication but to question his prices is a bit out of line. Talking to him makes it clear these cost alot to make, also how many months, years and man hours went into the research developement phase and how many units are in reality going to sell to make it worth the trouble with all that goes into tooling and creating a new statement product?
I just really think in this case its wrong to hear some's back handed remarks from this and other threads and forums. His history, track record and reputation is something only few others in this industry could aspire to even equal let alone surpass. Its very expensive but if anyone is going to try to price something as honest and realisitic as possible I am fully comfortable in saying that man is Richard Vandersteen.