Vandersteen 7 Flagship at CES

The Vandy 7s were introduced at CES and seemed to have created quite a stir.

Vandersteen 7

Any of you hear these speakers and care to report? How do they sound compared to the 5As?
128x128zargon
This demo would have been worth the trip to CES to me. The only speaker I'd like to hear more right now is the 5A upgraded with the full compliment of carbon fiber/balsa drivers to see how close it comes to that level of performance. It will be a while before I can hear (let alone afford)either one. Lucky thing the standard 5A is as good as it is. I envy those of you who got to experience these.
Make no mistake, I love Vandersteens and respect his ideas on proper reproduction of the waveform, but he is charging 45K here...

It uses the same 12" woofer system as the 5A's with a new carbon fiber/balsa wood mix for the midbass, mid and up. Asking him about it, he mentioned the flex that occurs with his previous cone materials that this new combo cures.The balsa (thats right balsawood) is both light/strong and adds damping to the CF and at the same time is rigid end to end where flex is bad for detail/transient. Somehow he found a way to lay the fibers down to maximize what he wanted to do with the CF.

It sounded fabulous of course (Clearaudio/Aesthetix) But he could have offered it on the 5 series since it uses the same compliment of drivers, size and all, alas-.

Still if you have the bucks and appreciate a master of technical knowhow on how to do it right, this is your speaker

Regards
David
The 5a costs $16,700 so a bit of 'carbon fiber/balsa wood mix' for the mid, mid bass and up adds an extra $28,300 to the new 7 model over the 5a?
Sorry, I just can't get excited over a pair of enclosed speakers that cost a wallet s....t....r....e....t....c....h....i....n....g $45,000!!!.
Hope to hear them at a show though one day not with the intention of buying, even if I could afford a pair.*
I am going to start a society for the 'keep it real and in check with reality' group.
Sound wise can they be really worth the huge price increase over the model 5a?

* they maybe the next best thing to sliced bread.
David,
The 5A drivers and crossover can be upgraded to the new 7 drivers and new crossover. However, it must be done at the factory since the crossovers are individually tailored to the drivers via testing in an anachoic chamber. I have yet to hear the price.

Gawdbless,
Don't forget the crossovers are new and the cabinet is a complete remake over the 5A. Also, I understand there is a great deal of hand labor in turning the balsa and forming the cones for each driver. I'm not justifying the price, just pointing out that it is more than just a bit of 'carbon fiber/balsa wood mix'.

Sonofjim,
I am also looking forward to hearing the new drivers in a 5A! That will be a challenge, since it is unlikely that a dealer will do such a thing. It would have to be at a willing Audiogon members room.
I agree that the 7 sounded fab at the show. As to bemoaning the cost, Richard Vandersteen prices everything based upon the cost of constructing, and his multiplier is below the industry standard (consistent with the brand's value-oriented reputation). Accordingly, the cost of building the 7 is, quite simply, almost 3x the cost of producing the 5A. The cones themselves (before voice coils and the accompanying Scan Speak motors) cost enough to represent about $10K at retail. Based upon my discussion with Richard, any upgrade of the new drivers/crossover to the 5/5A will only be offered (when, I don't know) to original owners, and won't be cheap given the cost of the components to be upgraded. - Pete -