Best Bookshelf/Monitors Speakers? Suggestions

I am new to hifi, and looking for a pair for pair of bookshelf/monitor speakers, preferrably under 2k, to pair with a Mcintosh ma6450 100wpc. I was originally looking at the B&W CM1, but they are very inefficient(84db), so i was thinking about the CM5, or even the 805S ( both 88db). I feel like I am paying a lot for the name with B&W though, and may be missing out on more lesser known speakers.

I am not necessarily looking for the most accurate speaker, but rather a speaker that is dynamic and creates and wide and deep soundstage. bass extension is also important to me.

I have read about the proac tablette 8 sigs, reference 3a decapo, but im not sure if the de capos are a good choice with my ss amp, and if the tablette 8 sigs will have enough bass.

Obviously I would prefer to audition them, but if i can get a highly recommended pair of used speakers such as the decapo that would normally cost much more new, for the same price as a new pair cm5 (1500) i feel like id be better off. what do you think? Thanks for your help.

Extra infor that may be important:
I live in a high-rise so would like to avoid using a sub.
My Room is approx. 16x17.
Couch (main listening position) is about 8-10 feet from where the speakers will be.
Speakers will be about 7 feet apart.
Probably about 1 foot from the wall behind them.
farjamed
ProAC One SC. Great speakers! I had the One S years ago and went through speaker after speaker until I just purchased the One SC. They are keepers.
I agree, the Reference 3A De Capo i is an excellent speaker with tubes or solid state. I'm just wondering if a monitor will be enough for your room.

If your could possibly find a Meadowlark Osprey (floorstander), I think you'd be very pleasently surprised with it!
Sold Mac and B&W till 2001 so heard combo a lot and it's a good one.Depends on what price you want to go.Other speakers with true Brit sound to listen to would be Harbeth and Spendor.I like Silverlines but they are better with low power SS and tubes though 17.5 is a hell of a monitor like DeCapo.Like idea of Usher Tiny Dancer.But if B&W is where you want to stick thought CM7 with better oak than braced MDF of CM5 would be good if you don't want to shell out for 805S (I like them with Sound Anchors even if B&W stands look better).But if you can compare the excel;lent Revel M20/22 to 805.I think it edges it out at competitive $2K price point.Praoac and Dynaudio are good bets too.But don't knock idea of sub.Most people play them to loud.It may be that at low volume you want imaging from two way monitors but a good music sub like REL,MJ Acoustics etc. might be good.One speaker that would allow for very deep bass,have the imaging,and whose like like Usher is an over achiever it Totem Mani Two.Gallo's since mentioned are some folks dream ticket floorstander as it's not to big and delivers.Others don't like it but I think it's a good 5.1 choice.Me I'd choose Usher,Totem,Revel just from value standpoint.
Cheers
Chazz
thank you everyone for all the suggections. i am so surprised at how quickly i received so many responses and how helpful everyone is.

i am currently looking at the usher be718's and their US distributer is in Dallas about 5 minutes away from where i live so i can easily audition them. only problem may be is their reccomended power is 80-200 and my ma6450 is 100wpc... and in all honesty, i despise the look of their cherry side panels.

the reference 3a decapos seem like another possibility.

there are some proac tablette signature 50s on sale for 900 here on audiogon. would those be a good choice?
ok, so i was also looking at the gallo's. can i drive those with 100wpc? their sensitivity rating is 88db, but it just seems to me (with my very limited knowledge) that a speaker that size would need more power.