Speakers that disappear

Here is a description of a speaker found in TAS, the recommended components issue:
"... simply don't sound like other speakers. The Xes are tonally neutral and nearly sonically invisible; voices and instruments don't seem to be coming from drivers in frames or boxes. Instead they hang in space, free-standing objects that are so three-dimensionally "there" that listening to *them* is like going to a play, where listening to other speakers is like going to the movies."
What affordable(under $15k) speakers fit this description?
pedrillo
The reveiw is for the $200,000 mbl extreme speakers, they only weigh a ton or there abouts! So per pound it's not that bad!
But they need $300,000 worth of amplification, a mere drop in the bucket if you work on Wall St. and get resuscitated by the tax payers.
Castle Acoustics models with the top firing driver.

Yes indeed they do a good disappearing act. They were good. I heard they also went out of business - so disappeared that way too.
My Advents disappeared while I was at work. This was many years ago but when I came home they were gone, along with the Marantz receiver.

But for a more serious answer, I would begin with room treatments and placement, as suggested by others. I do not believe any speaker can "disappear" without some considerations to set up. And yes I've heard Merlins, Maggies, Mirage, etc.
Ha!...that reminds me Pryso: Late '70s I had four Advents that disappeared like that too . Had a Decoder reel to reel 4 track deck and a Harmon Kardon amp that disappeared with the Advents.

Cheers!

Robert
RSAD
Hey, it could be worse... You could come home and find that your woman disappeared. You might even find your best friend disappeared along with her. Or is that a good thing?