ATC active or Tannoy TD12?

Have this set up now Naim cds2,82 modified by Whest and Supercap modified by Whest,Naim amp 250 and Tannoy TD12.Actualy I will receive this 82,supercap combo in near future.The guy who sold it to me is advicing ATC Scm active.What kind of improvment I will get with ATC's compare to Tannoy TD12 which I like a lot.I don't mind some coloration and like their musicality side,huge soundstage.Anyone compared these 2?
128x128mikedimitrov
Hi Shadorne, Thanks for your answer. Glad to see you use the "legendary" Radio Shack meter. I use the analog one of course! I tend to agree with you on the levels, most of my LPs play around low to mid 90s spl, and many playing up to 98db. A few playing up to 102-104db. With the loudest playing up to 104 to 106db. I dont believe (I am very sure) anything I play is louder than that.

Shadorne, when you see 115db on the meter, is your meter set on the 110db setting, or the 120db setting?

I dont have any of those albums available that you mentioned, I only have a turntable, I am not set up for any other source.

Shadorne said "Great music is not meant to be all at 105 db SPL all the time - that is too
fatiguing."

I will agree with that.

Bob
Bob,

I don't recall the meter setting 110 or 120 I suspect it was 110 (it is on fast response C weighting and max). Mine is the new digital kind. I have a condensor microphone too but it just ain't worth the trouble to setup with the PC etc. just to make a quick SPL measurement.

If you must know then PM me and I'll wait for an opportunity to test. Although I am in the basement it is so loud that the Wife will go balistic.

FWW: At these levels you might need to find a protected environment for your TT - there is often significant microphonics (distortion) as you feel sound waves as well as hear it. Pink Floyd have all their tube equipment in a separate room because of thiis issue.
Shadorne said, "At these levels you might need to find a protected environment for your TT"

Or your wife! ("it is so loud that the Wife will go balistic") :)

So, how often and when do you play it this loud?

Yes there is no doubt that you do/can play fairly loud. I dont believe that I have heard a system played that loudly, ever.

Sure, the next time you have it cranked, check your meters levels and the settings, still curious.
Bob
So, how often and when do you play it this loud?

I never play as loud as the Sheffield Drums test track example I gave - that was
just setup testing. If you can achieve clean audio 10 db SPl higher than you
ever need then it might seem wasteful, however, it ensures that distortion
remains ultra low at normal levels all of the time. Headroom is protection for
those odd recordings that stress a system in peculiar ways without necessarily
being all that loud.
I concur with Shadorne around the dynamics and loudness factor of owning ATCs. I have the 50s and 150s. The 150s can fill a room with ear splitting sound; I enjoy the quieter 50s for home use. They don't color the music and are very neutral and flat. They like to be played loud. My 150s are in a restored warehouse/studio complex with 40 foot ceilings; my 50s occupy a bonus room with 11 foot ceilings. They are the most precise speakers I know. If you want more a tubey magic of a classic BBC speaker, I would recommend Tannoys, Spendor, or better yet, Harbeths.