Martin Logan Aerius i vs. Spica TC-60

I've just bought a used pair of Aerius i's to replace my recently-acquired Spica TC-60s, and I've had 'em for half a day now. It's been a very interesting adjustment. Before I get into the comparison, though, I'll first address a 'goner's concern that the Aeriuses might be too bright with my Adcom amps. They are a bit bright, but this is easily offset with positioning, at least in my room. First, my listening chair is quite low, putting my ears at 36". I figured I was too low, so I tipped the speakers forward a bit by raising the back foot 1/2". Whoa. Too bright. Horns were aggressive. Untipped the speakers and toed them in just a bit more than recommended, and that took care of any residual brightness. I like a solid center more than a wide stage, so toeing suits me.

Now, I've gotta say, as far as imaging goes, my old Spica TC-60s put up a bloody good fight, and are actually better on simple, intimate vocal material. The Spicas elicit a "Wow!" on Boz Scaggs' "But Beautiful" and Lyle Lovett's "I Love Everyone", and the Aeriuses don't. Boz' voice hangs in the air like a levitating brick on the Spicas, like a cloud of smoke on the Aeriuses. On "I Love Everyone", the beautifully recorded drum kit is rock solid on the Spicas, a bit see-through on the Aeriuses.

That said, the Aeriuses do just about everything else as well or better. Detail is finer, bass is deeper and rounder, more life-size, but fairly agile. Tonal balance is otherwise very similar to the Spicas. Both could use another dB or two in the upper midrange. Where the Aeriuses steal the show, though, is on more complex material with a bigger soundstage. On the Manhattan Transfer's "Offbeat of Avenues" and Manu Dibango's "Wakafrica", the layered voices are more distinct and have lots of space around them. Little Feat's live "Waiting for Columbus" is amazingly big, live, reverberant and exciting.

I can't see going back to the Spicas, but I'm loathe to give them up, too. Wish I had two living rooms. The whole exercise has given me a new appreciation of just how astoundingly good the Spicas are at what they do best. The going prices for used ones make them an absolute steal.

Not that I can afford to trade up, but I'm wondering what speakers in the $1k-$2k (used) range might combine the Aerius' huge soundstage and detail with the Spicas' rock-solid center imaging and meaty vocals. Any thoughts? I've auditioned Gallo's Reference 3 and a $3k Audio Physic, and neither did it for me.
jacquescornell
Jdolgin-
That's a good idea. There is a big window in the wall behind the Aeriuses. Perhaps I should replace the Venetian blinds with curtains. Might look a little better, too. Fortunately, my room is long enough to put the back wall a good six feet behind the listening position, and that wall is entirely covered with bookshelves. So, rear wall reflections are not an issue.

Geronimo-
Thanks for the review link. I'll check it out.
Jdolgin -

"One more point, keep experimenting with placement of the Aerius.......they will create a truly lifelike center image with true portrayal of real bodies in front of you. Don't settle for less. It's in there........I promise."

Thanks for the encouragement. You were absolutely right. Further placement tweaking has made a substantial improvement in image focus. Moved 'em another 1' apart, pulled 'em forward 6", got out a tape measure and got 'em identically positioned relative to front and side walls and degree of toe-in. What had been a spacious but ethereal image suddenly became focused like a laser. They're now as good on center vocal imaging as my Spica TC-60s, and better at most everything else.

An audiophile buddy came over to check out the 'Logans for the first time today. I rewired my biamp kit to put one Adcom GFA-5200 through the 'Logans and the other through the Spicas. Since the 'Logans and Spicas have nearly identical sensitivity, A-B comparisons were as simple as switching amps on and off. After a while, I was getting dismayed, as we were both concluding that the Spicas rendered Boz Scaggs' "But Beautiful" with a more relaxed, natural and rock-solid center image. The 'Logans had more ambience and better image height, but we weren't getting the feeling of being able to reach out and touch Boz. "I just spent a thousand bucks on these 'Logans!" I cried in despair. We tried hanging blankets on the front wall, on the theory that backsplash was confusing the 'Logans imaging. Nope. Finally, I pulled the 'Logans out to 40", slid 'em over to within 15" of the side walls (which are 12' apart), and futzed with the toe-in.

Magic. The center image just went "ZAP!" Suddenly, the Spicas sounded shut-in by comparison.

Conclusion? The 'Logans really benefit from absolutely precise positioning. Having one speaker 1" closer or toed-in just a couple degrees different from the other makes 'em merely very good. Get it exactly right, though, and they suddenly graduate to superb.

You really need a tape measure - a quarter of an inch matters.
Spica's are great. I don't know anything about speaker manufacturing, but why someone cannot build a modern version of the spica's or just copy the old ones is beyond me.
Virgo IIs are the only AP speakers I like(and own). As far as I'm concerned the rest borderline on terrible (I haven't heard them all). I find the AP speakers very picky with equipment, placement, etc. Probably same case with the Logan's.
Statements like 'You really need a tape measure - a quarter of an inch matters'. Should be all the reason more you keep the Spica's.
Yep, I wouldn't use the Adcoms with the Aerius. The Aerius can sound a bit "hard" at times. This can be tamed with a musical solid state amp or a quality tube amp. I'd recommend looking at used SimAudio Moon amps (70W or more) for solid state or a good quality tube amp (30w or more) like the Music Reference RM9 or 10. Both these options would offer great value and great performance, and help the speakers to perform their best while dealing with the hardness.

With the Aerius, amp selection is critical. Fix that and you will enjoy them.

-Daniel
I'm done tweaking and futzing. Maybe I have a tin ear, but I don't hear the "hardness" that some have mentioned as characteristic of the Adcoms. A friend has an all-tube setup with Brentworths, and in many ways our systems sound quite similar. The main difference is that his kit has a slightly smaller but more focused soundstage and brigter presentation of vocals.

Some months ago, I added a Behringer DSP8024 as a DAC/EQ, and this has improved the tonal response tremendously. The 'Logans are fairly warm, and my room has major bass anomalies. The Behringer corrected both of these characteristics beautifully, opening up the upper midrange and treble and smoothing and extending the bass substantially. My only quibble now is that the imaging is still just a tad on the ethereal side. This would doubtless be improved in a bigger room that would allow greater distance to the front and side walls. As they are, the 'Logans are throwing a wide, tall and well-defined soundstage with more ambience and low-level detail than the Spicas could muster. Although my friend's kit retails for at least 4 times what mine does, I prefer my setup. Having auditioned Gallo Reference 3s and some other $3k speakers earlier this year, I still think this is about the best-sounding sub-$10k system I've heard.