Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Frogman, Shirley Horn can really get you emotionally involved in her songs, they seem like short stories of her life. I'll have to get more of her work.
Shirley Horn, I have her CD 'you won't foget me'. That one includes Wynton, Branford and Miles. The lady traveled in good company. On another one she has Roy Hargrove. She has a thing for trumpet players? The clip you sent was indeed special.

Cootie Williams played with the Duke. So of course he can play. Wynton's solo on the Horn song was him doing what the song and the moment required.

Your comments on personal perferences and appreciations are right on target. Well said. Even me, with my big mouth, cannot think of anything to add. You Nailed it.

Your comments on the Wynton/Clapton CD? Extremely Close, But No Cigar.

You are not considering the total situation. I.E. the context of the playing. This was not a 'blowing' session. It was written arranged music, promoted as Wynton and Eric play the blues. It was not a head cutting event. The audience got what they came to hear.

All music arranged by wynton. No leader dominating the solos. Everyone played. All Had their moments. This was not a JATP thingy.

Considering the moment, the song, the location, the event,... the solo was perfect. The Shirley Horn tune called for something else, so he did something else. When he performs with Kathleen Battle doing Mozart, he again, does what is called for.

A few things to remember about Wynton.

He plays to please the audience. He actually wants people to like Jazz. So, sometimes he meets them halfway.

He is not from the 'mean streets' of anywhere, he is a memeber of a highly accomplished and respected Jazz music family, born and raised in the birthplace of Jazz.

He plays to give enjoyment and pleasure to the listener.
I have him playing and singing (scatting) on a CD by Jon Hendricks. Doing the same on a CD with Willie Nelson!
And of course the Clapton CD. Name another Jazz player that could do that. You want to know where he is coming from, think Louis Armstrong.

Some Jazz players, usually the unsuccessful ones, play for themselves. And others, the ones that do well, play for their audience, while exposing them to new things.

I ignored your 'IMO' thingy. That's understood and applies to us all, and if that was the final word, we could close the thread now.

Cheers
Orpheus10, good description of Shirley Horne's artistry. She is a beautiful singer; and plays great piano, too. That recording (Here's To Life) featuring the songs and orchestrations of Johnny Mandel is a true gem; beginning to end.

Rok, I am well aware of the context of "Layla". Of course, it was not a blowing session. But, in any context, when a truly exceptional improviser plays, the depth of the playing can "shred to pieces" lesser players. It doesn't have to be flashy, nor with a lot of notes. Nor does the intent have to be to surpass anyone else; the playing simply excels. Your point about Wynton playing for the moment is well taken. But, I would not give him too much credit for that; that is basic musicianship and there are many layers of excellence that go beyond that basic musical demand that separate the greats from the not so great.

****He plays to give enjoyment and pleasure to the listener.
I have him playing and singing (scatting) on a CD by Jon Hendricks. Doing the same on a CD with Willie Nelson!
And of course the Clapton CD. Name another Jazz player that could that****

Are you kidding? That is what jazz players do (not all scat well, of course). They are able to fit into a variety of situations:

Zoot Sims played on Phoebe Snow's debut album. Phil Woods played on Billy Joel's "I Love You Just The Way You Are". Wayne Shorter played on Steely Dan records, the list goes on and on. BTW, you want to hear great scatting from a trumpet player? Check out Clark Terry; amazing!

I am not a Wynton basher in the least. My point (which perhaps I have tried to make a little too gingerly, in order to not offend some;-) ) is that Wynton is a fine player, but sometimes inconsistent; and, at the end of the day, not on the level of many of the greats as far as depth of playing. That is simply why, with so many great classic recordings still missing from my collection, Wynton's are just not near the top of my list. Additionally, I doubt that fifty years from today, jazz students will be transcribing Wynton's solos. As far as he deserving the adulation that he receives from some AS A PLAYER, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Amazing performances by Clark Terry:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3AvImcsbt1U

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ldnGJn3wz2s
Frogman, we have no argument. I never said, or at least never meant to say that Wynton is the BEST anything. I am just reacting to the Wynton bashing that is out there. Not from you, but from many. If he is not the WORST Jazz player, then bash the guys whom he is better than! Just for a change.

Cheers

Clark Terry has been my favorite for years. Even when everyone else was going gaga over Miles. Maybe because I played Flugelhorn in concert band.
Rok,
I feel the same, Wynton isn't my favorite trumpeter or the"best".I do enjoy his music and have much respect for him on several different levels. Like you I long ago tired of the redundant bashing.
Regards,