Ring radiator tweeters - the future?

A technology developed by Scanspeak that hasn't penetrated the audiophile market, but Polk started using them - and their fans say it produces better high end within the same price range. A brief froogle reveals JBL offers them as components. Could this technology end the perpetual silk dome vs. titanium dome debate?
128x128dnewhous
The so called "tweeter" of the Magneplanar QR series, like my MG1.6QR, is not a physically separate driver, like the ribbon used in the MG3.6. It is just a section of the diaphram that has lighter conductors and can vibrate at higher frequency. In some ways it is like a full range cone driver, where breakup of the cone allows the area near the voice coil to vibrate at higher frequencies than the outer cone area. I actually prefer the Maggie QR over the ribbon, and the money left in my pocket is nice too.
Gmood1...The Fostex FF225 appears to be much flatter out to about 12KHz, where it drops off completely. At the low end there is a rolloff starting around 200 Hz, but it is smooth and gradual and easily handled by equalization down to where a SW would take over. This driver, which costs about 1/4 of the F200A, is a better fit to the requirements of my project.
Eldartford , looks like you've done your home work on this one. I wish you luck with the project. I know several Audiophiles that went OB. They all claimed never to return to a box speaker again. Thanks for the links Cdc.
Cdc, your comments are based in a rich misunderstanding of what it takes to make a good speaker. Fact is most single driver systems have worse timing errors than properly designed multi-element speakers.

Your history lesson also underestimates how much people love bass. For 99.999999999999999999% of the public anytime you get more bass....you get a bigger smile. Advertising had nothing to do with it.

Speaker designers are not obsessed with frequency extremes, the driver manufacturers are. In most cases better mid band performance leads to better bandwidth performance. Most good speaker design manufacturers are obsessed with either bass or midrange or simply obsessed.

Single driver speakers are not the answer, most are inferior for the very reasons you find flaws in multi-element designs. Exactly how difficult is it to perfect one driver to the point where it is demonstably superior to multi-way systems? You would think price advantages and limited R&D would make this style of speaker very popular. To build a Fostex in a box, you call madisound, cut some wood and you have a speaker. I'm not sure it requires any math?

BUT despite inherent market advantages, overcoming the obstacles seems to be very difficult, as this proven year after year. As single driver system remain only viable to fringy audiophile types who don't listen to powerful large scale or popular music.

A good example of the point I'm trying to make;

Cain & Cain Abby versus a Blue Sky System One? Both $1500, ones modern AM radio the others the real deal.

Guess where my money's going....with the ring radiator...

Best Regards
"I'm not sure it requires any math?"

Oh contray..how wrong you are.

Construction and Measurement of a Simple Test Transmission Line.

A Mathematical Model for an Expanding Fiber Damped Transmission Line

The Calculation Algorithm

Derivation and Correlation of the Viscous Damping Coefficient

Advanced Transmission Line Modeling Techniques

Does it look like you're just throwing a driver in a box? I agree some SDs aren't bass or dynamic monsters. There are some that do large scale very well..most aren't commercially manufactured though. Also the consumer must decide what kind of bass they want to live with. Do they want 50hz bass hump kinda of bass or real honest bass with low distortion that adds as little as possible to the original recording?

Cheers