Audio Physic Caldera mkii...still good?

Hi,

I just bought (without hearing) some 7yr old Audio Phyic Calderas for £1750 UK. They havent arrived yet...so i thought i'd ask about your opinions!!!

Are they as good as say a newer Virgo III?

How do they compare to the Dynaudio Condifence 5 of the same age? I had the Dyns and loved them...regret selling them!

As a comparison i recently sold my Dali Euphonia MS4's...they were very good but i sold them for almost double what i paid for the Calderas :))

+'s and -'s appreciated...i can take it...i think!

Richard
enjoy_the_music
Samuel:
That is a great review! Thanks for sharing the link. By the way, what did you replace them with after four years? (I'd think that with one or two Rel sub-bass units, with the crossovers set waaayyyyy low, they'd have even more closely approached sonic perfection.) Just curious, as the Calderas had achieved "holy grail" status in my mind after listening to them years ago.....

By the way, I've heard things similar to what you said above about the newer AP products, but have no direct personal experience, so cannot make any judgement about them.
-Bill

Hi Bill,

I own the Wilson MAXX2's now, which seems a dirty word here on 'gon, but I am very happy with them. Even built a room with Rives to optimize their performance.

If I could own a second pair of speaks they would easily be the Calderas due to their refinement and dissappearing act. They are also easy on the eyes with flawless wood work.

Best,

Grant
Samuel,
Thanks for the follow-up. I don't understand the Wilson "controversy" for two main reasons:
1. First and foremost: I've never heard Wilsons, ever, so it's not even remotely possible for me to understand the arguments.
2. Second: Even if I had heard them, I'd continue to have no problem whatsoever with people purchasing what they want, and would continue NOT presume to know "better" than someone else what sounds good, or even what "should" sound good, to THAT PERSON.
-Bill

However, I am still willing to PREDICT that the Calderas will sound very good indeed to Richard! :))))
======================================================================
Richard,
Are they there yet?
======================================================================