Calling all Von Schweikert VR-9 owners

Guys:

Do you know what is an acceptable level of transformer buzz for the VR-9s? The speakers have huge, 1,000W digital amps in the bass cabinets, and I'm trying to get a handle on whether noise should be audible or not--and to what degree. My electricity checks out perfectly, so that's not the issue. I'm listening in the nearfield, and combined with the fact that the speakers are 96dB with the bass boost on, maybe those factors are causing the buzz to be audible--albeit slightly--from my chair (7'+ away from speakers). My room is very quiet, so maybe that's adding to the audibility. I pulled the amps last night, and put Lock-Tight on the transformer nut and silicone on the back plate, but the buzz is still audible, albeit MAYBE a touch lower in level. FWIW, when I put my hand to the back panel, I CANNOT feel any vibration. Can anyone comment or share their experiences? Thanks!
hooper
Hooper did you by any chance go to the CES show? I am very interested about how the VR9 sound at the show compared to home enviroment. Very difficult to hear these speakers. They do not even have them at the factory for audition. Does anyone know if the ones at CES 2006 are the ones available for consumer purchase ? I read that Von Scweikert brings "tweaked" speakers to shows that appear to resemble the consumer ones but sound significantly better.

Rusty from VSA informed me (as of the beginnign of january) there have only been 5 consumer pairs of VR9 sold. I wonder if they are all with audiogoners . If you are one of the five please say "aye". It would be nice to hear furthur opinions of them

rumney
Rumney510: The speakers that were at the show belong to me. They are just as "tweaked" as every pair that is built. They are all identical other than finish options.

Who told you they are not available at the factory for audition? That is bad information you have received. If you would like to audition them in the Von Schweikert factory, I am happy to set up an appointment for you at your earliest convenience.
I talked to Rusty Taub (spelling may be wrong) at VSA just before the CES show, and he said there were no VR9 in the factory. The only VR9 that would be built were ones that were ordered and a deposit given on in advance. He said there were no plans to have the VR9 or VR11 available for audition at the factory. He recommended your pair as auditionable at the CES or in your demo room.

I listened extensively (5 hours or so) to the VR9 at the CES show. Staggering dynamics and bass. The sound on traditional instruments was not what i expected. How do you think the CES sound compared to a home set up ? especially as regards tonality with non-electronic instrumnets. Does the EMM tonality come through alot ?

rumney