Totem Model 1 Vs. Hawk

Anybody ever do a comparision?

After stands they cost almost the same. Anybody have any opinions on the pros/cons of either besides the idea that the hawks will play louder/lower.

Thanks
baroque_lover
Baroque Lover,

I dont mean to hijack the thread. I did not see any activity about the current discussion and posted my points. Anyway, this discussion about Model1 and Hawks is very important for me as well as I am planning to put down 2K to 3K for the 2 channel speakers. Let us continue this interesting discussion.

Grakesh
After a few days with both the MODEL 1 & HAWK I can without reservation say that the Hawk is truly a little marvel. Top to bottom is does a lot right. The Model 1 had a smidge more transparency; however, the Hawks reproduced the harmonic overtones on strings and piano so well that it made me forget about the little transparency lost. Balance, cohesiveness, musicality, and harmonics are the best way to describe this speaker. Tonally it is a tad warmer than the Forest and Model 1 and is more musical too my ears. Compared to the Model 1 the Hawks complete the audio “picture” whereas the Model 1’s offer more of the “hi-fi” qualities some might prefer like transparency, extended highs, and point-source imaging. If you like these qualities definitely give the Model 1’s a listen. If you prefer a balanced system flat to 30HZ that conjures up a lush harmonic richness, an ever so slightly warm tone, and a separation and layering of instruments that is almost creepy…the Hawks are your speakers. Believe it or not the Hawk took up less floor space than the Model 1 on stands. Compared to the Forests I prefer the Hawks. Again, If you like the qualities I mentioned about the Model 1’s then you will prefer the Forests. In direct comparison the Hawks had better balance and integration. While the Forest had better bass, but the quality of bass on the Hawks was better. The Forests bass was a little more prominent and I think this was its drawback, it sounds a little boomier on certain material whereas the Hawks just effortlessly produced the bass-lines. I think I found my perfect loudspeaker. The only drawback(s) of the Hawk is its ability to perform well in a very large room (not directly a fault of the speaker) and its slight loss of transparency (I’m really nitpicking). The Hawk allowed the music to communicate, move me even. The Hawks somewhat stray…it still maintains the Totem signature sound, but it is closer in tone to the higher end Sonus Faber. Both speakers had more than 400 hours on them, dealer demos. Overall both speakers performed remarkably well in my room but the Hawk really strutted its stuff, I mean really.
Yes, nice report. I come away with this having even more respect for the Model 1, actually, because it remains competitive with a much larger and slightly more expensive speaker despite its miniscule size.
Baroque Lover,

Thanks a for a very very good report you posted. I have two questions for you after reading your post.

1. When you say "The only drawback(s) of the Hawk is its ability to perform well in a very large room "....What sized room do you consider as a very large room ? My room is 16 x 16 x 8. I a just curious whether Hawks will be good enough for my room size.

2. You also said "The Hawks somewhat stray…it still maintains the Totem signature sound, but it is closer in tone to the higher end Sonus Faber". Are you comparing the Hawks sound to Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors/ Cremona (or) Guarneri Series. I had an oppurtunity to compare Totem Mani-2 (dealer does not have a Hawk ) with Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors. Both are darn good speakers with Sonus Faber being a tad more musical than Mani-2. Mani-2 was more accurate, but tad less musical than SF.

3. I am assuming you listened to Sonus Faber also. If so, can you answer this for me ...Money not being a factor, between Hawks, SF Cremona Auditor, SF Concerto Domus ( all within 1100 dollar difference ) which one would be your choice ?

Thanks

Grakesh