Totem Model 1 Vs. Hawk

Anybody ever do a comparision?

After stands they cost almost the same. Anybody have any opinions on the pros/cons of either besides the idea that the hawks will play louder/lower.

Thanks
baroque_lover
The Model 1 is a great solution from its form and function standpoint. Its extremely compact, dynamic, sports great range and power handling. The Model 1 is typically at home in smaller to medium sized rooms. This speaker is picky. Thankfully – it is not the most difficult speaker to set up in the Totem line. You will need to experiment with distance from the wall and with distance apart. The Model 1’s respond very well with high powered tube electronics, although they are known to perform very well from the likes of McIntosh solid state, Bryston, Sim Audio, and Plinius. There are a plethora of other brands out there that match perfectly well. As large as these compact speakers sound, I found they still sound like what they are at the end of the day – a small two way. While versatile, I found the high end tilted a little high for my liking which is why I favor it with darker electronics.

The Totem Hawk is a much better speaker in every way shape and form. Unlike the Model 1, the Hawk prefers large to real large rooms to attain comfortable breathing room. If your room is medium to small sized… (no more than 16x16 or so), you just won’t be able to fully appreciate what these speakers are capable of. The Hawk is also the most difficult speaker in the Totem line to get right. Some friendly pointers would include positioning it along the short side of the wall in your room – experiment with distance from the wall (two feet or so), and taking a larger step up in electronics (upper tier McIntosh tubes, Lamm, upper tier BAT) et all. The Hawk will give a much fuller and genuine presentation than the Model 1. Its smoother, better with ambient music, and of course, can provide exceptional bass that may leave you not even thirsting for a sub. Of course, great performance can be attained by more realistic scenario’s… but the Hawk can also be one of the most overpriced sounding speakers if your listening near-field or just do not have the room/electronics to accommodate them.
gotta throw in a suggestion to audition a castle harlech or howard. for the type of music you like it doent get much better
Rumaidan,

If the room size is exactly 16 x 16 x 8, do you think Hawks is the better speaker to go for ? How about Forests / Mani-2 ?

Grakesh
I'll offer offer a few observations, some first-hand, some gleaned from general consensus. The manufacturer regards the Model 1 upper end as slightly more refined than the Hawk, the Hawk clearly with more bass depth and extension. I've heard both speakers, but only the Model 1 in my own smallish room, which is about 16' x 11' x 8' - not as square as yours. Well set up, with adequate power, for the type of music you describe, in that room, I believe the Model 1's an excellent candidate. Would you prefer the Hawk's greater depth, even at the expense of a sliver of high frequency insight? That is such a personal choice...UHF magazine made just that comparison a few years back, I don't think they were able to be conclusive...

The manufacturer and many Totem lovers regard the Mani-2s as operating at a more elite level altogether, with substantially more refinement, and more real depth. As well they should at the considerably higher price... By all accounts they are very power hungry and particular about partnering and set-up, but very rewarding if well propitiated.
Hey Panderso,

Its funny you mention that because i contacted totem in regards and they said the same thing. That the Model 1 is closer to the Forest in Performance. They said the Model 1 is a notch up from the Hawk's with the exception of bass...however, they claimed the quality of bass is better on the model 1.

Furthermore, they said the model 1 is used in classical music studios all over the world...something like 200 world wide.

I think this might be the route to go...