Having second thoughts on Khorns Need help

Hi all: I am starting a two-channel set-up starting with speakers,amp (tube or s.s.),also c.d. player direct to amp to be decided later. I had decided to go with Klipsch Khorns originally and have done research on the net for about 6 weeks now.
I am now having second thoughts, given the type of music I listen to, mostly rock and LOUD! I am a little concerned about whether the Khorns can produce the bass on this type of music to my liking! I will not be buying these for another 6 months,so I am open to other suggestions for speakers.
I am looking for floor standing full-range speakers that can fill a 12W x 24L x8H enclosed with tight,
chest-pounding bass on it's own, without a subwoofer. I listen to Van Halen,Dream Theater,Greenday,Led Zep,Sherryl Crowe, Colin James,Collective Soul,Metallica,etc. No classical,jazz or hip-hop!
I realize that some speakers sound better with certain types of music and the electronics,(source and amp), plus the room have an effect on how a speaker sounds! I guess what I am looking for(asking), is a pair of speakers that play "rock" well! I can go up to $6500 for a pair. Amp and source to be decided later, depending on the type of speakers! Interested in all comments!Thanks, Huck
huck55
"all rock concerts use horns. i rest my case"

Yes they do, and they sound very bad!, but...they get the job done in the SPL department and can be driven to those levels at low cost.

Dave
There's been some excellent advice already in this thread. I'd particularly highlight the contributions by JbsJbsl and Bob Bundus. I'd add/stress/reiterate the following:

The Khorns will go low only when properly placed in two adjacent corners as they were designed. Either that, or you must build false corners on them (not pretty IMO). Even then they're only going to give you an honest 40hz and there are plenty of speakers that will do better on their own in terms of bass. None of them will likely sound like a Khorn, as has been pointed out. Their sound is unique, and more often results in a love-em' or hate-em' response. As Bob points out they are extremely revealing of everything upstream and they'll take no prisinors there. A LaScala or Belle will have a similar character to them, but will not require the corners, but in turn will not go quite as low. If you are a bass-hound and want something that hits you in the chest, I would include a subwoofer in my budget for any one of these considerations. Matching the best upstream components is absolutely critical with these speakers and can make or break your investment. Also, none of the larger Klipsch Heritage line conform to your size requirements that you listed. In comparison they are quite large, the Khorns being the largest of the bunch and a formidable speaker indeed.

Two speakers I've heard in the past that do what it seems like you are asking, while both remaining relatively reasonable in price, are NHT 3.3's and the more current Gallo Reference 3's. Both require significant current to do their thing though.

Per the suggestions above, if you're stuck on Klipsch for some reason, go out and try to listen to a few set up well. Bring your own music to listen to.

Good luck!

Marco
Jay that was a really ummmm stupid point to make, all rock concerts sound like Ice Picks in your ear, if you want to recreate that..by all means do, but that statement in no way makes a case for horns, if anything it hurts (just like your ears at a concert)
Horns can be problematic at best
Surely, Paul Klipsch, Terry Cain, A Capella, Avantgarde, Oris, et al have done more than patented research to create what could be deemed a 'problem'.

You're welcome to come over, Huck55. Of course, horns aren't for everyone. But if you don't leave here feeling like Lars Ulrich (Metallica) or Danny Carey (Tool) have rocked you silly, I'd be surprised. I played rock drums professionally for over a decade. The K-horns can shake the house without a sub. Promise.