Amp overload,! NAD 2600 & maggies 3.5

I got a pair of magnapan 3.5's two months ago and paired it up with the NAD 2600 power envelope amp (150 watts) and a NAD pre-amp series 20, I cannot put the voloume above 4.5 without the amp overloading. Any suggestions? Having the song crap-out every 10 seconds kind of ruins the mood.
augeanpoop
You may want to have someone check the amp. I have had a 2600A since 1987. Over the years it's driven some REAL tough loads. I'm talking Acoustat and Apogee, which have much more demanding impedances than the Maggies. I've also driven some tough dynamic speakers with them such as Thiels and Dynaudio(theirs and kits). I have NEVER had a problem with running out of steam. This amp has thoroughly outclassed some more "upscale" amps I've had over the years in the ability to drive these loads(but not in overall sound). I've have never had the amp go into thermal protection at all. Also, no other problems. You should have NO difficulty with the Maggies, as I believe they are a very stable, flat(compared to most speakers) 4 ohm load. Your amp SHOULD drive a continuous 2 ohm load. So, look into it.
There is indeed an NAD 2600.

Also - when you say you turn it up to 4 - I'm not sure of the gain of that preamp - but a lot of receiver or integrated amps have a preamp section which will hit full power on the amp well before you go halfway. This is a trick to sell amps and make the consumer think "Well, it goes to 4 and my god - what incredible power this thing must have!" Not the case at all. It's not unlike amps you've heard that "go to 11" (okay, it's a movie amp but that's the point. The numbers don't mean anything.)

So, was it loud?

I've had NAD 2200 (used two in bridged mode) which were amazingly reliable and sounded surprisingly good. I've had them for years. Literally. Still working. HIGHLY recommend one or two as back up amps for your seriously expensive and probably tweaky gear. You can pick them up cheap and they sound pretty great. Still.
It sounds to me that the amp you are using just can handle the load the speakers are presenting to the amp and it is clipping;I agree with the reponses to upgrade to a better amp;take a look at Belles,Odyssey and McCormack to just to name a few.