Massage therapist looking for stereo for office

Hi All- My massage therapist is looking for good sounding "used" stereo (CD, amp, speakers, etc.) for her office. She has two massage rooms. One is 10' x 13' and the other is 9' x 9' plus the waiting room 12' x 22'. Unfortunately, she can only afford around $1,000-$1,200. She plays ambient music, soft jazz, light classical, and "light" world beat. She would like a good sounding system. What suggestions do you have for her? Thanks, Ross
rosstaman
Thanks for all your responses. Looks like I'll suggest the NAD L-40. She'll need approx. 20 feet of speaker cable to run the speakers in each of the rooms. Any suggestions for decent quality speaker cables that will work well with the NAD? Ross
I think you are making a mistake. I am sure the NAD L-40 is a fine piece, and would do well in an office system that is intended to be used for one room. But, you describe a multi room use. Plus, other than using the tuner, she will be limited to the length of one cd. Will she stop the massage to wash the oil off her hands and change the disc? I hope not during my session. Plus, when you are face down, (it is that kind of massage parlor, right? [:)],) you are not doing critical listening. You just want quality ambient sound that is convenient and contibutes to the whole experience. You need power, more than the L-40, to push the overall 6 ohm load a multi room contoller (like the Niles) results in. BTW, get a couple of spools of good quality "home theatre" wires for the runs, they will be fine. Good luck. Charlie
Charlie, Thanks for the tip. I spoke with her regarding the recomendations and she order the NAD Music System with two extra pair of PSB Alpha Minis. I did see that the L-40 has a pre out for connecting to an external amp. I'll keep a look out for a decent used 60wpc amp. I see there are a few Adcom amps in the price range of $150-200. Do you think that would do the trick?
Ross
those should be fine, but you can also probably find a used NAD in the same price range. If I were you, I would use Analysis Plus HT oval 14 speaker wire. It is very good and not too expensive.