Power Strip vs. Line Conditioner

Please give me some feedback on this. I was told and have read that line conditioners should never be used as they degrade the sound. Instead a simple power strip such as the Wiremold brand is all that is needed for the best sound. Is this true?
boboh1
I added two Monster HTS 2000's for surge protection and their ground breaking feature. I live in an older building with sketchy wiring. I was pleasantly surprised that these inexpensive units also made and improvement in sound (insert the usual adjectives). Each unit has two non current limiting outlets for amps. I had tried power conditioners in their early incarnations and found them to be too "subtractive" in nature, so I had stuck to cheap strip/surge protectors. I'm thinking of adding better quality outlets now.
Cool, Jim

I recently tried a used HTS2000 in my system. I plugged it into one of my main conditioners for additional isolation, and then plugged most of my video and digital equipment into it. The improvement with the video monitor, LD player, and DVD/CD player was VERY noticable (I previously used power strips plugged into same main conditioner). That daisy chained HTS2000 is now an invaluable part of my audio/home theater system.
I agree whole-heartedly with Mezmo, it all depends on what your electrical situation is. I live in NYC, too. The first block to ever have electricity is in NYC. Once wiring is in place, there has to be a really good reason to spend the money required to go back and dig it up or rip it out. Much of this city was wired at a time when a couple light bulbs and a radio were the extent of electrical appliances; people had "ice boxes", not refrigerators. Well, those circuits are not loaded down with refrigerators, air conditioners, etc., and the refrigerator in the neighbors' apartment can make your lights dim. Power conditioners are almost a necessity. My building was built in 1937, and has not been rewired since. I grew up in the suburbs where everything was wired in the 1960s, however. Line conditioners there might be considered over-kill.
I see a lot has been said about a wiremold power strip here, but I can't seem to find the WEB site. Can someone please point me in the right direction?