Coping in an Age of Uncertainty

there have been numerous threads here, i know, about sacd v. dvd-a, upsampling, oversampling, etc. a number of these threads have included discussions of which, if any, new digital format will replace what we now call “redbook” cd’s. i don’t wish to rehash these discussions. rather, i’d like to hear from others how they are coping with the “age of uncertainty” in the realm of digital audio. is it better to “roll the dice” and invest in sacd or dvd a? ignore the contenders for the new and get the best possible out of redbook cd’s? buy with upgradeability firmly in mind? follow another path? i don’t post this query out of mere curiosity. i really haven’t figured out what course i should follow. i’d appreciate your giving me a hand. -kelly
cornfedboy
I see a few people commenting on not wanting to buy a new format because of an extensive RED BOOK library, but hey didnt we all ponder this when RED BOOK came out? wondering if we should replace, Vinyl with 8-Track or reel to reel, then cassette, then CD, Vhs to Beta, then to DVD...it never ends, and its a roll of the dice, hell one day people are gonna look back at CD's as an antuiquated format just as Vinyl is in some circles.....cant stop progress right?
p.s. I do think SACD and DVD Audio are gonna survive if k-mart starts sellin crap boookshelf systems that can read these formats.
As long as it can be had cheap, and in a convenient package that any idiot can operate it will survive.
it is both gratifying and frustrating to see that the thread i started in february 2001 remains relevant. for me: i've yet to invest in anything other than redbook and lp frontends, deciding to wait for the inevitable migration of high quality audio media to hard disk. if i live long enough.
I pondered this briefly last year and decided that it's going to take so long for Sony or whomever to successfully launch a new format, it's safe to upgrade your CD player. I was more than satisfied in buying a McIntosh CD player, which make CDs sound like records.
Why does one format have to win? When I upgraded my CD player 2 years ago I was dying to buy a high-end universal player, LINN, MF, SIM, etc were all getting ready to blow me away. Unfortunately, for the most part all I could buy was re-masters of many of the titles I already owned. Without the music I want what is the point in a new format?

I decided to spend 2K on a nice redbook player and 500 on the dreaded iPod. Now two years later I would still do the same. I travel for work and I've gotten huge enjoyment out of having a big percentage of my favorite titles in my collection anywhere in the world anytime I want it. I've tried both ACC and loss less encoding. Given that I listen to my ipod on planes, trains, and automobiles, any loss in quality by going to ACC is indiscernible given the environment I use it in. Should I set a turntable up on my lap in 22C with a packed plane? With the way it's going the needle is probably considered weapon in the security line :^) Do I use ACC at home? Well yes.. not in my listening room but in my workshop, at the pool, and in the kitchen.

The point is that in today's world there is no one "right answer" we are far too mobile. I have two cars, each is for an entirely different purpose and do their job well. Why should one music format be enough?

It's no mystery... the titles will follow the mass market. In the 50's HiFi was the hot new thing, today it's HDTV and soon "HD" DVD. In the 50's people worked till 5 had dinner at 5:30, watched 1 or 2 shows on a regular basis and read a book or the "high tech people" listened to the stereo.

Today, most people are looking for convenience in the audio not higher res. Alternative to the mass market will alway be there, the choices will just be more limited. In the end all formats are good for what for what they do well... Embrace all the ones that work for you.