Coping in an Age of Uncertainty

there have been numerous threads here, i know, about sacd v. dvd-a, upsampling, oversampling, etc. a number of these threads have included discussions of which, if any, new digital format will replace what we now call “redbook” cd’s. i don’t wish to rehash these discussions. rather, i’d like to hear from others how they are coping with the “age of uncertainty” in the realm of digital audio. is it better to “roll the dice” and invest in sacd or dvd a? ignore the contenders for the new and get the best possible out of redbook cd’s? buy with upgradeability firmly in mind? follow another path? i don’t post this query out of mere curiosity. i really haven’t figured out what course i should follow. i’d appreciate your giving me a hand. -kelly
cornfedboy
I do not think there will ever be one great format so uncertainty will last forever. CD will be viewed by many as the last great format.

I think that CDs, HDCDs, XRCDs, Gold CDs, vinyl, mini-discs, DVD-Prologic, VCR recordings, CD-Video, Laser Discs, and 96/24 DADs will decline in the near future.

Growing in popularity is MP3, Windows Media, DVD-Dolby Digital, DVD-DTS, DVD-Audio, and SACD. We'll see more units with upsampling--even receivers. Probably next year there'll be something else (MP4?, Windows Media II?, 6.1?, 7.1?, quad?, Chesky's 6.0?). Interesting times.
There's now just me and my Cornish Rex, Leeza, and she appears to be even less concerned about picture quality than I am!
Jim
I'm in the camp with Trelja, Sedond, Samir, Snook2 and others who say "it's the software"-- right on! I've yet to see an SACD disc that I actually wanted to perchase. I have a great CD playback system already and 1,000 CDs that I really like. If SACD does take off, I would have no problem with setting a nice SACD player right next to my nice CD player. I don't see this position as "sitting on the fence"-- there's no software to buy! There seem to be some that still do not understand that up-sampling and over sampling, which has been used for years, are essentially the same thing. Look up the thread "Up & Over Sampling" from last summer. Cheers. Craig.
I've said this any number of times: get yourself an HDCD compatible player Today! It's the only backward compatible format which makes all of your 16 bit CD's sound much better. There's much more 20 bit software available even Today than the competing "upgrade" formats.