Coping in an Age of Uncertainty

there have been numerous threads here, i know, about sacd v. dvd-a, upsampling, oversampling, etc. a number of these threads have included discussions of which, if any, new digital format will replace what we now call “redbook” cd’s. i don’t wish to rehash these discussions. rather, i’d like to hear from others how they are coping with the “age of uncertainty” in the realm of digital audio. is it better to “roll the dice” and invest in sacd or dvd a? ignore the contenders for the new and get the best possible out of redbook cd’s? buy with upgradeability firmly in mind? follow another path? i don’t post this query out of mere curiosity. i really haven’t figured out what course i should follow. i’d appreciate your giving me a hand. -kelly
cornfedboy
It surprises me that people who were willing to pay $3000 to $5000 or even more for a cd playback system to get the best sound possible are not interested in a $1200 player that will give them clearly superior sound.
I mainly bought the player for DVD/CD playback in a more convenient one box solution. The SACD was icing on the cake so lack of software right now didn't matter to me. If you are just wanting the SACD then it will depend on how much disposable income you are willing to spend on it. Once the players get down to the $400.00 mark there really is no reason not to at least try one out.
I listen to the best possible sound all the time. Better than SACD, DVD-A, you name it. It is call live music.
Interesting article. Many of the Japanese companies are working together to build other 1-bit equipment like amps, radio transmitters, video processing, etc. One-bit technology is not only better--it's cheaper--and it's use it growing.

http://www.edtn.com/story/tech/OEG20010216S0053-T