Vinyl or wait for the new stuff??

I was wondering whether to dive into the world of Vinyl or wait for the new format to settle. You see, I have not listened to vinyl for more than 20 years now. I have all rated A equipment and cables and good collection of Audiophile and not so Audiophile CD. Recently I have been thinking of taking a dive into the world of Vinyl. However, knowing myself, I will not be satisfied unless I get some highend stuff which will cost me some serious amount of money. Not to mention that I have to start my collection of software. So my question here for you guys who want to help. Shall I make the move or just wait for the SACD/DVDA ? your input would be much appreciated.
myoussif
Get into vinyl, it's the ultimate. It's a fun tactile exercise also. Very fulfilling, never disappointing.
Your original post reminded me of where I was 6 months ago. I have pushed the cd envelope as far as it canbepushedWadia 27/27i (Huntley modified) all great wire, power conditioning, etc. I grew tired of waiting for a new / improved digital format that only audiophiles want. Our numbers are too few to drive an economically feasable new medium. Non audiophiles, i.e. 99% of the world population are perfectly happy with cd's at $14.00 ea. Why would they buy new hardware to play $30.00 discs when they are happy with their present players and library of cds. We can all hope and wish for DVD-A or SACD (as I do) but the economic reality will dictate the future formats. My feeling is that there will be no future digital formats with anywhere near the penetration of cd, let alone a replacement of cd. So..... I decided to take the plunge a few months ago, anf couldn't be happier. The bottom line is that vinyl sounds more like real music than any digital I've ever heard, including SACD. SACD is much better that cd, but not as good as vinyl. The above comments are based on what my ears hear and nothing else. If you are interested in hearing what instruments and voices sound like in the real world vinyl does that better. Any other criterion for music reproduction seems misdirected. GO FOR IT !!
your wait for the "new stuff" could be quites awhile. Especially when you consider how slow the supply of new titles for either format is likely to be. But even more ;important will be the almost total lack a vast quantities of ALL knds of music on vinyl. Even new stuff is more available than you might think until you actually get into vinyl. Also I can't stress enough the pure joy of finding new ways and places to find vinyl and the thrill of discovering music you never even knew about because of the many branching paths open to vinyl hunters. And a very friendly & knowledgeble group of people out there in vinyl land. But be careful! It is a true addiction! Good listening gwood
Your exactly where i am at right now. I have just restarted an lp collection, and have purchased around 50 or so in the last 3 weeks.I still have not made up my mind on a TT. Though it appears to either be a vpi mk IV or rega 25 or michell gyro se, or drop down and save some money, music hall mmf-5. So i guess the way this sounds, i'm still not decided.I figured i can always get dvda and use all the speakers if i want to, but i remember 20 years ago i really liked the sound of lp's so i'm coming back. actually it's been about24 years.why wait! and vinyl costs, so get your supply built up, the prices can only go up, until more people start producing more lp's.
Case04 Grab a P-25! Best sound for the buck plus!! I went the Music Hall route,dont waste your money.They are good but the P-25 is great!You would have to spend 5 grand on digital to compete with the P-25.