Why are audiophiles perceived as being wackos?

I have been pursuing this wonderful hobby of high end stereo equipment and music for almost 30 years. I do consider myself a passionate audiophile who loves to listen to music on a daily basis. The reason for this post is because it has been my experience that the great majority of people who do not pursue this hobby think of audiophiles as being wackos/screwballs because of the amount of time, money, and passion they put towards their systems. I find it very interesting that individuals who spend tremendous amounts of money and time pursuing esoteric tastes such as wines, watches, coins, etc, are considered connoisseurs or aficionados with a serious passion that is often respected even if it is not the other person's cup of tea. Another example would be people who love high end cars/boats who read all the magazines, go to the shows and invest large sums of money to purchase and tweak their cars or boats to get the last bit of ultimate performance out of their prized possessions. So I don't believe the negative viewpoint towards passionate audiophiles revolves around the amount of money that they can invest in their equipment. So my question for all you GON members is what would be your explanation for people outside our hobby having such a negative or condescending attitude towards our passion, where they infrequently would not have the same attitude towards other people's hobbies and passionate but unique pursuits? It would be a pleasure to hear about your experiences and what your explanation would be for this phenomena towards our hobby.
teajay
We all have our likes and dislikes. One man's passion is another man's apathy.
But anyone who ridicules another persons passion, lacks a bit of social
sophistication.

So it's best to go by the old Native American saying:
"Do not criticize your neighbor, until you've walked a mile in his shoes."
This way, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes!
We need a new class of friends? That is a "weak" statement at best.
I feel Hi-End Audio is the way it is because of what it revolves around...music. It is not that we are crazy, alot are though, and it is not what we spend in time, money, and effort, it is becaue most dont really listen to music, they hear it but dont listen, a song to most is a few or more minutes and perhaps enjoyable but then another comes right after and so on... the Marketing is also true, I dont know how many times you have listened to music with someone who keeps asking you every 3 seconds "did you hear that?!" for a casual consumer, or average friend listening to gear this is going to leave a bad taste.
I never use the word Audiophile in the real world and shy away from it in general, I am a music lover and I like to shop for, hear and read about hi-end gear. but to be an Audiophile you have to really have more technical chops then I do, you have to know how things work, how to fix them if they dont and like to open up your components and tinker, seeing how I dont know how to really fix, and I dont ever take a look inside my stuff I am going to pass on the tittle, and I feel alot of others should be smart enough to also.
I believe that it is a more personal and intimate hobby....When was the last time a beautiful lady was swooned back to your place after telling her that you just bought a new pair of B&W 801's !!! ??? But, and I'm just generalizing here, if you told her you just bought a new Porsche.....well that's different. It is more of a specialzed hobby that is between you and the creation of music through these components. It's inward not outward....for most Audiophiles. Then I love when you get the my ''boom box'' sounds just a good as your stereo....it's all the same. Yes, and so is riding in a Pinto vs. that Porsche.....It's all about the music and what music does for you and to you
Good one Rosstaman! As i sit here wondering whether it's wacko or whacko I'm reminded of 25 years ago taking up bicycle racing. Eat, ride, sleep. Travel all night to race and then back home to lie around like a deadman. People wondering why your legs are shaven. Funny suntans, 10 bikes and tons of tires, tubes, ect. in the garage. Oh no, you guys are towards the normal end of thing. Gotta go, if I leave my rca's hooked up too long the government takes over my tuner!