Sound Insulation- how much can it help?

I am considering moving into a new apartment, but the neighbor's (with yound child) bedroom is right next to my living room. I want to listen to music and watch movies at fairly loud volume late at night. At a volume that was way too low for me, i.e. I need it 3-4 times louder at a minimum), they asked me to turn it down another half. We have concrete walls, and with a fairly large (5 meters long and 5 meters high- vaulted ceiling) shared surface area. Is there any soundproofing method that can work? How much sound can be reduced? At what volume will I be able to play my music any time of day or night?
no_slouch
Not to rain on your parade but what you want is why folks buy their own homes. Even if you were able to reduce the volume of the highs/mids that pass thru the walls by using soundproofing materiels the bass waves are still going to pound that kid's room at medium high volume. I think you are between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

Bottom line is that you have to keep the volume down to a level where it is not intrusive on your neighbors relative to the time of day. If you don't you are probably in violation of local nuisance laws and probably your lease.
You might consider mounting a "floating" wall -- which is drywall mounted on resilient clips. Search "soundproofing" in these forums, it's been covered pretty thoroughly.
Jeff is probably right, and you can save a ton of money by replacing amps and speakers with the absolute best headphone setup.

Enjoy,

TIC