Am I just asking for trouble?

My video processor has neat things like notch filters, adjustable crossovers, slopes, etc. that I found make significant improvements to the bass response from my subwoofers.

I would like similar control for my 2 channel set-up (which is single ended and solid state and NOT bi-wired) but am fearful of compromising the rest of the signal. Correction capabilities for the main speakers are a secondary consideration. Wife influences make make electronic correction the only viable option. I've read as many posts as I can on the matter, but am still lost-as usual. Am I just asking for trouble?

Any recommendations/help would be greatly appreciated. Budget would be $1000, but I would be willing to go higher (or lower) if warranted.
sydneysophia
Davehrab-

Yes, I have a second set of preouts on my preamp (Placette passive)-sorry for the lack of info. I also run a pair of subs (Velodyne HGS-10), but sometimes think that adds to the problem. The room is literally 60'x 20'x8' and the gear is at one end of the long side. My seating position, however is only 17' (if that matters). I appreciate your input.

Sydneysophia
You are in good shape...run a pair of IC's from second preamp pre-out to Behringer input, then run Behringer output to stereo subs. Now main speakers are not being EQ'ed and will maintain all their transparency and resoultion. You will only be EQ'ing the subs, thats what you want to do.

Behringer unit will work fine, no need for PARC or giving up next born male.

Room is good size... I will work the numbers, and get back to you in the morning.

All of a sudden my computer is crashing... I will stay in touch somehow...sit tight I'm in CT and on EST.

Dave
I've had a chance to run the numbers, here is what I found...

Low bass reinforcement @ 28.2hz

Mid bass reinforcement @ 56.4hz
@70 to 75hz
@84hz

Upper bass reinforcement @ 112/113hz
@ 141/141.12/141.22hz

This has nothing to do with your subs,speakers,speaker type (vented or sealed)or speaker placement. This is do to the rooms natural reactions to it's dimensions

The largest peaks will probably be in the 70to 84hz range and the 141hz region

There are 3 ways to check for peaks... (1) Mathematically like i've done (2) use a test disc, and a SPL meter to measure (3) run the Bass decades on the Test disc, and listen for all Hell to break loose in the room. You will definately hear the difference between a clean bass frequency, and when the bass frequency hits the room's resonate points. Recessed lighting,floor lamps, pictures on walls, and items on table tops will vibrate in sympathy.

Looks like your a candidate for some EQ'ing. No dought the bass problem you are hearing is a problem. Also if we continue up the frequency range, I'm sure that the higher bass harmonics will also be reducing clarity in the Mid-range. OUCH!!!!!!!

Email me off site at... [email protected]... this is not the email I have listed here at A/gon (which is [email protected])

Charter.net gives me unlimited composing time (i'm very slow ) and spell check( my spelling SUXS)

Dave