Why even bother?

I have some general questions.
How any audiophile could be serious about having tuner in his of her system?
The FM signal is so compressed that sound is way far inferior to the sound from any records, CD and even tape.
Why some hi-end companies are still produce them?
I haven't seen any discussions regarding this matter.
What is your opinion?
Thanks.
misterl
My humble hotel room setup is sounding real smooth & pleasant after the ONEAC filter has been on for 24 hrs. Listening to Dominican hardcore, old-school merengue & Colombian salsa. FM can be great to keep up to speed and enjoy--they're transmitting live from a club named Cocobongo's, on Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando. Got to go there next Saturday--WOW...and I haven't yet seen the *mamis*...

Sedond would be *shocked* if I'd bring my Modwright modded belt drive transport (and associated vibration gear, power cord & VenHaus Pulsar digital cable) and one of my T4 filters. He'd weep...and try to get an even better tuner!

Now they're playing Bachata music in Cocobongo's. The DJ's actually mixing the songs--not easy with Bachata's beat. I got to go to that club. Perhaps I should post pictures here...

I have a modded Kenwood Kt 7500 and listen to a local jazz station that easily rivals cd's at times. Records sound like they are in my system almost with the typical vinyl surface noise with clicks and pops here and there. Dynamics(due to very little compression) are very good. There's three decent quality broadcasting stations in Portland, two of which are fortunately my favorite stations. It's pretty obvious most people have no idea how good FM can be. A good antenna is also required. I get to listen to new much music without having to get up and am quite happy sitting in the sweet spot listening to the "radio". Another good thing about public broadcasting is the lack of commercials.
Listening to FM gives me an opportunity to evaluate music for before making a final purchase. I can do this while on my computer for work and for pleasure. I end up buying for my tastes and don't waste money on CD's with only one decent tune. I uncompress the FM signal (restore it with my dbx 4BX) and it is impressive. Perhap you should give this approach a try?
...from analogit.
SEDOND!!!

Doug! Oh my God! The MAN has returned. It is SOOOOOOOOO good to see you, my friend.

Hope you are back now,
Joe