$25k vs $200k

Can any of you audiophools relate? For the longest time, (maybe 10 years), I wouldn't go to a high end audio store (living in NY, this was, at first, very hard to resist) to listen to, what I knew, would be better sounding systems. I feared that after listening to a superior system, I wouldn't be able to go back and enjoy my humble audio, after a tympanic tango with some, true, audio greatness. Well, quite the contrary, since I found out, (this is what you do on a rain delay Yankee game, with boring basketball on the Olympic station, and not a book to read in the house) that listening to systems much costlier, and better (for the most part) have given me a deeper appreciation for my system, especially related to cost vs sound quality. This was, perhaps, most reinforced, with my last go 'round at Sound by Singer. Any audiophools out there have similar experiences? peace, warren
128x128warrenh
Warren, I did that when I first started out in serious audioville. I had a Bryston/Thiel setup that, when I listened to some pretty expensive stuff in Boston, sounded very fine for the money. The subtle differences weren't worth it to me and I felt pretty good about my modest system. It is a mattter of taste and synergy.

The problem began when my year grace period for super deals on upgrades started to expire. It started with moving from the 3B-ST to the 4B-ST. Then from the smaller Thiels to the CS-6's. On and on ;-)

It's great to listen to other systems because it really does open your ears and mind. Everything is about trade-offs and there's always a lot to feel good about with the system you have. It might be better to actually listen to some "better, more expensive" systems so you're not always wondering how much better it can get. You get to know the specific trade-offs and improvements. Good post.
I was at Sound by Singer not too long ago Andrew was stuffing his face, I have never seen anyone inhale a sandwich that fast before. No wonder his ads now cover 2 pages in stereophile. As he is really rounding out to be the Biggest Man in Hi-End Audio.

Anyhow salesman Roni (Not much of a People Person once I only mentioned a 15G Budget) after I only wanted to listen to the JM Labs Micro Utophia Be, went ahead to let my Fiance, & I listen to the Utophia Grande Be first, driven with the new 750wpc Vtl amps, & Dcs gear. Afterwards listening to the Micro's in a hole in the wall size of a listening room, driven by a BAT 300x intergated wasn't the same.

As we left I asked her if on our next visit to NYC we stay at the Motel 6 instead of the Plaza, I could budget for the Grande's? Heck Honey Motel 6 even leaves a light on for you. The answer was still NO!
Boy Warren, you're going to alienate yourself from half the agon community with this thread.

The scenario you present is certainly not always the case but yes it is rather easily attainable. Well, maybe not easy.

But it requires much time, dedication, and perhaps most of all knowing what works and what doesn't thru much trial and error.

-John
Warren, I however did NOT return home to enjoying my system any LESS, or feeling it was SUB-SINGER!