new gear vs used gear

another thread got me thinking about this,how much of your current rig was bought new & how much of it was bought here on audiogon or ebay.

out of the 14 seperate pcs of gear im currently running 12 were bought on audiogon & 2 were bought at a dealer.

this isnt a dealer bashing thread i was just curious as to the numbers & why you choose to buy used or new.

mike.
128x128bigjoe
50/50 only because sometimes used is not readily available. like 31 foot Kimber shot gun 8TC biwire speaker cables.
Wow, lets see...

- 4 pr spkrs, 2 from dealers, 1 review pair from the importer, and 1 (the main rig pair) from A'gon
- 4 sets of speaker cables, all but 1 from A'gon
- 6 amps, 1 from a dealer, 5 from A'gon
- 3 pre-amps/pre-pros, 2 from dealers, 1 from A'gon
- 2 CD transports, both from dealers
- 2 DACs, 1 from dealer, 1 from A'gon
- 1 tuner from A'gon
- 1 TT/tonearm from dealer
- 2 cartridges from dealers

Wouldn't even try to guess about other cabling. The interesting part from my perspective is that if I actually think about the % of $ I've spent on A'gon v. dealers, its waaay different in A'gon's favor. In #s of pieces, I'm 12/25, or 48% A'gon. But, in terms of $s spent, I'm... er, wait a minute... about 60% A'gon. Do people find they tend to buy more expensive big-ticket items things on A'gon or cheaper ones? I think my major purchases tend to be A'gon, with the exception of mechanical stuff like TTs and CDs.
Interesting...

Tuner new...well it was in 1982
Universal player-new
Pre/pro dealer demo
speakers..5/7 new
subwoofer. demo
power conditioners all 3 used
receiver. new
DVD Player 3/3 new
Replay TV new
TV new
Amp….7/7 used

WOW, I'm also a retail/demo buyer!!!!!

15 of 27 (55%) new or demo…..not bad, I’m working on dropping the new/used ratio though
Stuff I would buy new - TT's, Arms, & Cartridges. CDP's and transports. Speakers. Tubes.

Things I would buy used - Amps, Preamps, Tuners, DAC's, I/C, cable and PC.

The logic to the above has to do with the problems inherent in shipping and probable damage as well as likely wear and tear by use of the previous owner.