What does your common sense tell you?

Hi,

I just want to check with fellow audiogoners regarding the sales practice or sales etiquette here.

When you are a seller: Someone sent you an email saying he is interested. You kindly reply, "thanks for your interest. If you would like it, please let me know how you want to pay." A few hours later, other person contacted you saying he would like to buy. You kindly reply, "there is other person showing interested. If he backs away, I will contact you. Thanks for interest. Blah, blah, blah". Now you wait for the first guy to reply. After a while, you email to the first guy, "now, some other person is waiting for your decision. Please let me know of your decision as soon as possible by tomorrow morning."

OK, here is the question. The first guy never replied by the time you designated. Then, would you allow yourself to start contacting the next guy because you waited long enough? What if you close the deal with the second guy and the first guy comes in after two days and says, "I want to pay by MO and send it to you tomorrow."?

I don't want to piss anyone off here, let alone be sued on "Dispute" section. Please let me know how you would behave in one of these situation.

Thank you.
Ken
khokugo
Thank you so far for very insightful advices. I am now relieved to contact the second guy.

Next and last, maybe a rather moral question, but I am serious.
Suppose the buyer #1 has backed away. Further suppose there are buyers #2 and #3 waiting on line for your item. Assume they are all saying "want to buy it" and "will paypal quick". The number corresponds the position (sequence of contacting you). You check the feedback of #2 to find out he has a relatively poor track record (or, even a non-registered member). You check #3 and find that he has an excellent track record.

Let me remind you that there is a "record" on AudiogoN system which tells who contacted you first (or second or third, or...) regarding specific item you intend to sell. You can check that on "My Page".

In the case above, would you contact #3 because he has excellent track record and because you assume there is no way for others to know who contacted you earlier, or #2 because he is the next in line?

Again, I am dead serious about this. There may be a rule somewhere, which I have been too lazy to check. If this is already settled there, I apologize. Thanks! Ken
I can tell you that I have paid through PayPal a few times and the money transfer is very fast..Not hours. If the person with less than great feedback is going to pay with paypal you may be ok with him, on the other hand we are talking about money here so I can understand your worry. I will not send money to a person that has no feedback but would sell as long as they send me money, I would then give them good feedback.
The idea of feedback is so you can make an informed deal. If you had to deal with the first person all the time feedback wouldn't make sense as you would be obligated to deal with the first contact all of the time irrespective of feedback.

No one is required to enter into a transaction when there is reason to think it could be a headache. I would never enter into a long distance deal with someone with a "poor track record" when there is someone else ready to buy.

Sincerely
I remain,
You have to live with yourself and it sounds to me like you've done everything correctly by giving the first person fair warning. So rest easy and sell to the next guy in line. Unfortunetly some people seem to think they are the only one interested and can take there time.You do want to get the best price and sell quickly and fairly.In my opinion you did just that.
The resposibility is on the buyer to make their intentions known. Waiting for an unresponsive possible buyer can cost you the sale. Make clear that other buyers are interested and your intentions and your side is done. People here know if you snooze you lose.