Diagonal setup of system...

The other day I had to move my system to clean around the area. I carefully marked where everything was before so that I could put it back the way it was. In order to get to some places on the floor, I had to move the entire system over to a corner. I decided to hook it up to listen to music while I cleaned the area. To my surprise, my system sounded better than it did with a conventional setup, side to side. The system was setup diagonally, sub in the middle, in the corner and mains on each wall. Any reason for this? I am thinking of keeping it this way.
matchstikman
I have a laser pen and after a first initial setup, it seems that things that were a pain to handle before, like open doors, windows, and the like, are not going to be used to my advantage. This could be a good thing.
in the decware setup they state that you won't need room treatments. in a larger room that may be true, but in a smaller room (mine's 11*12*8), treatements are still mandatory and a worthwhile addition.

rhyno
Rhyno, good post, but what kind of treatments and where? Do the say rules used in a conventional setup apply to a diagonal setup? Bass traps always go in the corners, right? How about diffusers? Where? Dead wall, live wall?

Rhyno, what kind of treatments are you using?
yes, you still need to tend to 1st and 2nd reflection points (bass panels ala jon risch worked fine), tube traps in the corners to absorb standing waves, and i've also found that diffusion works behind the listener---i made a home-made RPG diffusor that made a nice difference when mounted behind my seat.

also, for small rooms, make sure your seat is far enough away from any walls / corners so that coloration is not present (you can hear it. just slowly walk forward from the wall while listening and you'll hear when the coloration stops. that ppoint is the closest your seat can go to the wall. ---incidentally, this technique is part of the WASP setup that wilson uses to great effect, its just that they do the listening test to mark the closest the speaker can go to the wall).

rhyno
My plan is to attack primary and secondary reflections w/ foam panels, build Decware's bass traps and place foam along the walls to the left and right of listening position ear level). The room is very small (11' x 11'6" x 8').