Audiogon Annual Convention

It was refreshing reading albertporter's post re: Cryo'd outlets. It seems to me that this forum has taken a step towards what could be, a very effective group effort. Tok2000 also commented on establishing a "group effort" buyers cooperative. Both excellent ideas.

Let me throw my 2 cents in. Have any of us ever considered an annual Audiogon convention to facilitate an audio "meeting of the minds"? I cannot imagine it being that difficult considering some of the brain power of the individuals that comprise this website. If anything, it could provide us with a resource for group travel pricing models.

If properly executed, we could invite manufacturers representatives, room acoustics engineers and/or whatever other creative means for the advancement of our hobby in one centralized location. Of course, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. So, we would have to establish a potential convention location that would be conducive to information in a relaxed, informal setting.

Think of the possibilities. For example, Audiogon/Cancun 2003, Audiogon/NYC 2004, Audiogon/San Diego 2005, Audiogon/Las Vegas 2006, etc.

I'm ready to call my travel agent right now. Is this feasible? Would we finally be able to match the faces behind the computers or would we come off as a bunch of pencil neck geeks? Some of us allocate the funds and the time to attend CES, what would make this so different?

Any additional opinions? Please respond. Thanks.
128x128buscis2
Cancun, too aggressive - NYC - too grainy, San Diego, too bloomy - Las Vegas, too dry. Albert's it is!!
A bunch of us had tried to plan a meeting in New Orleans this year and it just never happened, we all have busy lives and do different things. Trying to organize this many complicated systems to blend into one is nearly impossible for a small group to arrange. That was only 20-25 of us and the idea lasted about 1 month before we all got so tired of trying to work around everyone's schedule that we just abandoned the whole plan all together. I do like getting together with local audiophile friends, I have met many of you folks through out the last few years and am hoping to meet many more, but its hard to get from place to place. Also I have found with audiophiles a group of 5+ sort of ruins things, rooms become to crowded, and uncomfortable- no one seems to enjoy things. When I travel I try to get a hold of audiophiles in that area for a few reasons: (i) to meet other audiophiles- after all we aren't that numurous (ii)hear gear I don't have or am not familiar with and to see what others like to listen and how they like to listen and (iii) meet some locals in unfamiliar towns and see what there city/town really has to offer- private tour guides. The differences I have seen are tremendous it is really an enjoyable splash of culture. The idea of getting a large group together I think could be more detrimental then beneficial for the group as a whole. I would suggest members try and get together with other members from your area, you'd be surprised how many are literally in your back yard.
Over at head-fi there is a sub-forum for "Meetings, Parties, Get togethers" (see http://www.head-fi.org/). Of course it's quite easy to lug along your own headphones and headphone amps. With home audio systems, the execution may be a little tricky - other than an Audiogon party at the CES Show as others have suggested.
We could meet at the Teenage Mutant Anal Gang Bang Slop-O-Rama booth at the AVN Expo at CES 2004 next year.
Let me throw out an idea for starters. Stereophile is going to once again have their High End show in San Francisco in June.
I grew up in San Francisco and go there fairly often; as I still have family there. If there is enough interest; I would consider the possibility of getting a hospitality room for Audiogon Memebers (and their spouses if they are attending) during the show.
It would simply be an informal place to stop in at, meet some of the other members, and maybe relax a bit, and compare notes on the equipment on display. If the memebrs wanted to chip in towards the room rental - that would be okay with me too.
What are your thoughts? This could simply be a low key way to just meet and get acquainted at a worthwhile show.