Lovan: Stereophile recommended disappointment.

I just got a brand new Lovan amp stand and could not believe the feeble board that came with it. That thin board flexes under the weight of my 50 lb T4 isolation transformer bay!

The spikes were loose because the thread tapping is not within tolerances. I solved the problem by adding a washer. How can they call that an amplifier stand?

I got it for $67 on closeout (vs $149.95 list), but still leaves much to be desired.

So much for the "recommended component"--anyone wants to spend $400 on their rack?

Long live DIY.
psychicanimal
?? I've never tried the amp stand but the double equipment rack boards (lined with Dynamat that does not contribute to rigidity) handle that weight without flexing. May have to do with weight distribution.
Lovan has always struck me as masquerading mass-market stuff. But closeout or not, I should think the retailer could do something for you about such a disappointment, if you made enough noise about it (and I know you can!). As for the worth of the 'Stereophile Recommended' appellation (not that I know what they may have said about that particular product), it seems to be even more meaningless when it comes to accessories in general (especially concerning the lack of updating) than it does regarding components. I once might have ventured to say that this had something do with the fact that accessories don't receive a 'grade' in the recommendations, but seeing as they've long since made a joke out the grades they do give components via rampant grade-inflation, what's the diff? The only realization one needs to make these days about 'Recommended Components' is that Stereophile "recommends" everything which passes under their radar, period. And that makes the distinction meaningless by definition.
I have the Lovan rack for my equipment and can't stand it! I am with you, it is cheapo stuff and wish I had seen it before I bought. It always looks better in the catalogue. Good warning to others considering Lovan. Forget it.