Diffusors vs. absorbers room treatment

Hello experts,
I'm trying to toy with room treatments to see how it will improve my system. I just moved my system upstairs to a smaller room and I notice the sound is a little brighter than I would like. Can anyone tell me a basic or rule of thumb on where to use the diffusor and where to use te absorber? Or are they pretty much the same thing? I visited few website from like sonex, auralex, rpg etc. I am thinking about getting sonex classic since I thought they're pretty reasonably priced. Can anyone also recommend me some other that are not toooo expensive? My room is 14' wide by 13' deep. I place my sonus grand piano speakers about 2' from walls. Thanks in advance.
heeengky
Give Mike a call at Echobusters.com
He will be able to help you with the rooms musical properties to identify the proper tuning pieces for you.
Let him know you were referred by Joe at
Custom Audio... he should give you a better price!!
I am using a pair of the new Phase 4 diffusers and
4 echo busters that hang on the wall.
Good luck,
Joe
Custom Audio LLC
Heeengky, Absorbers and diffusers are not the same thing. They are as there names imply. Typically, absorbers should be placed at first points of reflection. Side and back walls are the rule of thumb (even ceiling). Diffusers are usually behind the listening position and deflect the sound waves in various ways. However, I suggest absorbers behind the listening position if very close to the back wall. The idea is to cancel reflections and modes but not over-deaden the room. There's a ton of information available on how to figure placement with mirrors, lights, test cd's, electronics, mics, and your own trusty ears so I won't go into details here. Don't overlook the corners where bass modes accumilate and are potentially the most harmful to your sound. I'd even suggest you start there. ASC and Echo-Busters are very effective and attractive. You can find them here on the Agon occaisionally at good prices, but they are $$$ new. There are many ways to treat your room that are not exspensive. Do the research and learn how sound waves interact with your listening room before you spend any $$$. The education is worth it. Hope this helps and good luck, Dave
Look here for some good info and DIY recipes:

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a.htm