Feelings on Napster?

Hi, Since this is in part a forum about music, I'll put this statement and question on the table. In the past few months, I've begun to use Napster online. I'll look through the forum for reccomendations on good albums and tracks, then I'll download it on Napster, take a listen and, if I like it, purchase the album. My opinion is that Napster is really opening up accessibility to music for alot of people, allowing them to try new things that before they wouldn't have access to or simply wouldn't be prepared to invest in. It's helped expand my own horizons I know and I think it's good for music overall. Any opinions?
issabre
To understand where the lines are drawn one has to, first, want to know and, second, take time to become aware of what the law says. Mostly its common sense, but not always. Do understand my belief is this country is so mired in legalities that the average person is doomed to eventually violate them. Sometimes knowingly, sometimes not. That's not an absolution for intentional theft, just a recognition of how ignorance and circumstance can manifest itself. But enough of my disgust with the legal climate in the USA. We don't buy music, we pay a royalty for restricted use. It's all right there on the package. When a radio station broadcasts copyrighted materials they pay a royalty, too. The restricted use granted generally does not include right of duplication for distribution. Stated simply, if it seems you're getting something for nothing you are probably breaking the law. Further, no judge has agreed that Napster is without wrong doing. Instead, they were granted a stay of any "cease and desist" order until an actual ruling is handed down. This is a very common occurance in cases of this nature and has nothing to do with guilt or innocence. Such stays are allowed to specifically avoid undue damage to a company. It is understandably a harder concept to grasp. As for what the music industry charges, I have serious doubts it has anything to do with "foresight" on the music industry's behalf. Instead, since prices have risen gradually over the years, it's simply a matter of them charging what the market will bear. In conjunction with a measure of greed, of course. Capitalism at it's finest. (I am not a lawyer, but certainly played one above. My knowledge of the subject is derived from first hand experience in legal proceedings over copyright issues in the software industry. There is no intent to imply this knowledge is necessarily accurate or applicable. It is essentially my opinion, so use it at your own risk.)
To understand where the lines are drawn, one need only watch how the judge rules.
I am new to Napster. Can someone run down the 1-2-3 of why you use it? I know sound quality is limited vs. CD, FM has commercials, so what is it?
Why? Mainly so that I can save some money, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I've paid full retail of like over $4000 for vinyl reissues from Classic Records and other vinyl reissue labels, in the past 2 and a half years, and so....Why would I NOT be feeling some "wallet shock" from that??? (Not that I don't enjoy these, I love them....) Besides, why would anyone not want to try music for FREE, even if they did decide to buy it on vinyl, CD, SACD, or something else LATER? THE SOUND QUALITY of MP3 can get VERY close to CD, and luckily for me, this has occurred (rarely I admit, mostly due to the lack of care taken when the original MP3 file was created) on most of the more "audiophile music" oriented downloads I've done (i.e., Diana Krall...I am DEMOING my system with those songs!!! That is, on "green pen" treated Mitsui Gold CD-R's I've made from those MP3 files at 1x speed, and played on my highend CD player in my system)...................Mike, why don't you just try Napster, and maybe you'll appreciate it? If not, then simply uninstall the free program software, and forget about it. Is it really any more complicated than that?? If you have a connection faster than 56k (I don't), you might really have fun....
I just hooked my computer straight to my stereo and that even sounds great. I can download songs faster than I can listen to them. I can't imagine living without napster anymore. If you get the files that have a bit rate of 320 and use your winamp (much much better than windows media player) then you'll be in good shape. Plus I met this really cute girl (she's in a band and has a website that's how I know she's cute) in brazil who I talk to through napsters instant message deal. So go try it out already!