CARA - Room Acoustic Software

We're very much not into doing sales-pitch type posts, but after reading through several threads in this forum, we realized that questions regarding software for room acoustics were frequent enough that if we tried to answer every thread, we'd *really* feel obnoxious!

So... the lesser of two evils

CARA is a comprehensive room acoustic modelling package designed and developed by German physicist: Dr. Ulrich Thomanek. Dr. Thomanek worked with ELAC GmbH for many years and used computer models to bring their loudspeakers to be the number two in Germany.

He started ELAC Technische Software as a spinoff dedicated to his computer programs associated with loudspeaker modelling and room acoustics. CARA 2.0 is the product.

Rather than get into too many details here, I'll send you to www.cara.de where they have lots of information regarding CARA and a walkthrough. The site is in both English and German.

Early last year, Rhintek became the US representative for ETS and CARA. We have a strong background in software development, but are relatively new to the high-end audio industry. Our website is: www.rhintek.com

Thanks for your time, I'll probably be lurking around here on occasion as it looks like this forum is a good place for me to gain more understanding.

Kristin VanVranken,
Rhintek Incorporated
kristin3e25
I've been using CARA for a couple of months. It works wonderfully and I highly recommend it. I've been able to confirm the results with my Tact RCS.

The only major flaw is that it would take an unrealistically long time (several years) to do an accurate set of calculations for all but an empty rectangular room.

One interesting thing that I've found is that in a model system, I do not end up with anything close to the Cardas placement of speakers even in a room with Cardas' recommended dimensions. This isn't too concerning because my room is no where near perfect.

I noticed an immediate improvement in soundstage and tonal balance when I put my speakers in the weird assymetric places that CARA recommended.
Metaphysics: Several YEARS ??? Thanks for the warning and the laugh : ) I guess i know what to expect now...

I've seen others state that this program is SLOW and can really chew up computing power. My fastest puter is a lowly 350, so it might take more than a FEW years for me....

As to Luis' question, I "think" that CARA can accomodate openings. At least i hope it can. That is one of the main reasons that i'm picking up a copy. The room that my HT system is in has an archway adjoining into what we call the computer room. I have a seperate 2 channel system in the computer room. As if that weren't tough enough to deal with, the computer room has an archway opposite the other opening that leads into the kitchen !!! There is a direct line of site opening from the front of the house all the way through three rooms to the back wall of the kitchen. Talk about "trouble" when it comes to freak acoustics !!! Then again, this might end up helping me due to staggered standing wave patterns ????

Since some of you folks have already been using this system, can you work with speakers that offer 360* of radiation ??? Sean
>
Sean, Yes; several YEARS for a fully accurate calculation, but it works well overnight (on a 1GHz machine) to give a good approximation.

Yes CARA can accomodate openinings, but it will add to the calculation time unless you treat it as a simple open door, i.e. no reflection or loadin. It can also handle 360 degree speakers.
Have any of you guys ever been to a true high performance discotheque?

Have you been inside the control rooms?

Do you know how they are equalized?

Do you know why they sound so good, even though they are using Technics 1200s with DJ cartridges?

The answers will enlighten you...seek them.