Hanging Audio Rack?

I was thinking again, sorry. I'm wondering if any of you have tried to hang your equipment from the ceiling. I know turn tables have been hung, I had one in my dorm. What I want to know is if anyone has had experience trying to hang a steel or other material rack. If you did, how did it work, what were the sonic benefits? If you haven't tried it, do any of you have thoughts on what might be expected? I'm thinking of four point suspension from the ceiling joists using as thin of wire as possible. Thoughts?
128x128jadem6
Been there,done that.
It sux.
Sonically, the result is a huge open stage but dynamics and timing suffer greatly.If you can't hear or don't place a high value to PRaT, you might like it, tho.
pARTicular uses it in one of their designs.
With electro mechanical devices like turntables and transports, you are adding a secondary suspension system with results largely influenced by Chaos theory.

Best,
Ken
GreaterRanges/Neuance
If you hang yourself upside down instead and leave the equipment in the rack you will find very significant sonic changes but it usually takes about five or six hours of being in that position. worth the effort.
I tried it and found some beneficial effects for resolution, but essentially whatever you use to suspend the rack ends up affecting the sound significantly - a bit like the twanging of a guitar string it depends on the stretchiness, rigidity and tension it is under as to the effect you get. By funneling resonances into one region you get significant smeering of that region. At a highish frequency you will get an irritating ringing effect, and at a lower frequency then PRAT suffers to some degree, in a very similar way as bladders cause the same effect.
What you need is a stable rack that is free from vibrations. Hanging from the ceiling has two potential problems. The first is the length that you are hanging which will determine a low frequency oscillation--generally outside the audible frequency range. However it can carry harmonics from other vibrations--which is one reason you are likely to find so much variation in people's opinions of this. For example if a particular transport has an internal oscillation at say 400Hz and this excites one of the potential harmonics of the hanging stand--it could (and probably would) make things worse. The second thing is what you are hanging it from. If the ceiling is a room above and the floor is concrete--well the floor is going to be more stable and have less vibrations. In any case, predictability is on attaching to something rigid and then working with isolation or vibration tweaks--like vibrapods and tiptoes. You could get better results with hanging--but it would take quite a bit of experimentation--and if you read the thread on why do systems sound better at some times than others--you might think this level of experimentation would be difficult to say the least.