Grouding for dedicatied lines?

Hi,
Can anyone help me how to grouding my dedicated lines? I need all the details so that I can print out and give it to electrician because I know nothing about this stuff. I read some posts about dedicated line but don't understand.
Should I ground my dedicated line to the main ground of the house? Or should I use seperatd ground for dedicated line using star ground system? Which's way better? What's star ground system? I plan to do 3 dedicated outlets in my room.
Please help
Thank you very much.
DT
worldcup86
If you tell a qualified electrician to run a "DEDICATED" circuit with "ISOLATED" ground to each receptacle, what you will have is the following: A separate Hot, neutral, and ground wire from the receptacle back to your panel. The ground wires will be electrically isolated from any other ground or neutral wires in your system.

To be "DEDICATED" each receptacle would be on a separate circuit breaker (or fuse). Normally, the neutral and ground would be landed on the same neutral bar in your panel, and from there a main ground conductor would run to your main house grounding point. Usually a ground rod driven into undisturbed earth).

To be truly "ISOLATED", a separate grounding bar which is electrically isolated from the electric panel enclosure is installed in the electric panel. The main ground wire from your main grounding electrode (rod) would be attached to this bar, and all the circuit ground wires would be attached to this "ISOLATED ground bar" If your system is old, this may be difficult thing to do.

However, a separate ground (not isolated) from each receptacle back to the panel will likely suffice for your needs. Occasionally, the separate grounds are taken all the way back to the main grounding point, but if this is not done correctly, and a ground wire becomes loose and somehow creates another path to ground, the results could be dangerous. This is also true of any gound conductor, anywhere in the system.

Bottom line: If you consult with a qualified electrician, and tell him exactly what you are wanting, he/she should be able to provide a code approved installation.

Hope this helps.
Addendum to my previous post, please note: It is necessary that ALL ground wires are ultimately grounded at one, and only one, main grounding electrode. Due to the difference in electrical potiential of the two grounding points, failure to do this could result in damaged equipment, or even electrocution. This is a code required life safety issue!
Hi, I just installed a dedicated power supply. From main breaker box from a 50 amp breaker I ran 6 awg romex to sub main box.Sub main box (8 breaker type) I used 4 20 amp breaker that were connected to same phase at this box which is important for best results.I ran seperate ground wire to sub main box to 10 foot ground rod (make sure electrician installs this seperate ground rod & doesn't tie into existing ground rod because this really lowers the noise.Note the 6 awg 3 wire romex between main & sub box the ground wire is connected from sub box to main box & seperate ground to outside rod is connected to sub box.I then installed 4 seperate dual gang (2 outlet) outlets. This made a big difference with quieter background, better bass and no annoying pops when ac unit or refrigerator cycles.Also I have great results using a Chang Lightspeed CLS 9600 ISO power conditioner everthing except amp is plugged direct to outlet for best results. Hope this helps it worked great for my ststem.
Although I agree that a separate ground wire and grounding rod to the sub-main box MAY lower noise, electrical code strictly prohibits this for the aforementioned safety reasons. You won't pass inspection if you do this. It doesn't sound like the original poster has the understanding to do some post-inspection reworking. Stay within code and just have the electrician upgrade your current main ground.
Thanks Metaphysics, for helping me make that point again. It seems some (well meaning no doubt) audiophiles just do not have a good understanding of the dangers involved with multiple grounding points. And as you've stated (and I as well), it is against National Electrical Code to do so.

DIYer's beware, your quest for better sound could cost you more than a few bucks. BTW, for reference, I am a licensed electrician and commercial contractor.

I just don't want to see anyone fry their gear, or themselves!