Why does it sound less dynamic?

It has been a great puzzle to me. I have upgraded my whole chain from a SFL-2 with a PA-7 STASIS amp from Nakamichi connected to some PBJs, three Racing cones connected to a pair of Gershman X-1s, and SW-1 companion woofers and some old japanese digital front end (CHEAP*) and switched the power cord to Synergistic Master Couplers and the set up sounded explosively dynamic etc . . . .and since then, I switched to Sonic Frontiers Power 2, and added the BEL CANTO DAC-1, to my Panasonic DVD player, which was wired with Synergistic Research Alpha Sterlings and the whole set up sounds worser than before. The soundstage is less dynamic, the inmediacy is gone and overall, I feel a lot less excited by the results. I would say that somehow the digital sound sounds a little more artificial and annoying than before. What is wrong? Is the amp slow sounding? Is the digital front end bad? What caused this problems? I need help with this connondrum
bemopti123
Hi Bemoptil23; You've essentially thrown out your "old" system and started a whole new one sort of "all at once"-- and without any auditioning? As you need a base to start from, I'd suggest building your system around your SFL-1 pre-amp (is it still your pre-amp?) and SF Power 2 amp with good ICs between them. These two components should match well electronically. BTW, forget that totally unprofessional comment in Stereophile about the Power 2 being "boring", ie read the rest of the review carefully, and consider that this amp was placed in their Class A rating; also there are three other Stereophile reviewers that use the Power 2 or 3 as their reference(s). There are also many other reviews that say this amp is excellent. Short term, get rid of that remote control thing to keep the pre-amp/amp connection simple. The component that I would most suspect of causing a problem sonically is the Panasonic DVD player, ie sometimes DVD players are poor CD players, ie try a recommended Rotel or NAD (or better) standard CD player. Don't have much else to say-- again, you just need to start somewhere, and I've always believed that the Pre-amp/amp are the heart of a good system. BTW, the SFL-1 can sound soft,warm, and romantic with Mullard tubes, but dynamics are sacrificed somewhat. As suggested above, make sure all your tubes are good. System building can be fun, but time consuming so be patient too-- you've got some good equipment to work with. Best of Luck. Craig.
Thanks, especially for the last poster. I have a SFL-2, not the SLF-1. I still would like to have the remote volume capability, especially because of the extreme swings of volume that occur with certain CDs. Do you think that this volume box, which was claimed to be nonintrusive, does affect the sound that much? With the Nak amp, it still sounded fine. Nevertheless, I get this feeling that the DVD player is what is dragging down the set up, after all, it is the source that I am complaining about. All my other sources, I am satisfied with. By the way, I do not have a dedicated power line nor do I know the sequence in which my equipment has been set up. I reside in an apartment, therefore, what I get from the outlets, is what I have to deal with. Regretable, but is the truth. I do not want to run extension cords, even if I did find out which would begin the sequence in the power grid. I guess that some people really rewire their whole house wiring around their stereo needs. That makes me feel like I am a peanut size audiophile:) Thanks once again for all the great comments!
Hi Bemoptil23; The SFL-2 is the best pre-amp SF ever made IMO. I auditioned one for a week, but didn't keep it because of excess transformer hum. I liked it's sound even better than the Line 3 (I use a Line 2 though). I just suggest not using your Creek volume control temporarily, ie until you work out other music quality issues, then add it back in later on-- but I'd sure want to try your system with just a simple pair of ICs between pre-amp and amp w/o the complexity of the vol. control. Sounds like you're on the right track. Cheers. Craig.
......re: AC power supply. Later on if you feel your power supply is not good, you could add a PS Audio P300 at least to your source components and pre-amp. They have a 30 day try out policy. I do have a dedicated AC system and ground, but still plan to try the P300. Craig.
Hi, I have the SFL-2 and thought about the transformer hum. When I first got it, it did hum and I did notice it, but after it has had the opportunity of warming it up, it is dead quiet. Now I do not even notice it, because I leave it on "standby" mode and it has not hummed ever since. I will try the suggestion with the volume box from Creek. I am waiting to get a pair of ICs, SONIC HORIZON cables as advertised on HCM store. Perhaps, their cables will aliviate and give me the sound that I am searching for....I still suspect that the Kimber PBJ are the major culprits. Thanks once again!