Most important link: Source? Pre-amp?or?

I saw, this one, on the "audioreview" survey once, and was surprised to see that more than 70% of voters chose:........! I am curious too se the opinions of "highly-audio-educated" Audiogon "crowd".
eldragon
This scenario requires a certain premise to be valid, that being that the components considered (room included) are of relatively good quality (defining this is of course an endeavor unto itself). All things being equal, it is obvious that the SOURCE will make or break a system, and it is where the "lion's share" of the budget should go, IMHO. Garbage in, garbage out, as the "flat-earthers" say.
I believe the most important links are at the beginning and the end of the chain. I agree with anyone who says the room is the most important factor, but I also believe that the media (LP, CD, Tape) is important. A terrible recording can't be helped by changing equipment. During the oil "crisis" of the mid 70's, many LPs were released which sounded horrible. Thery were full of imbedded pops and clicks and the surface noise was very high (Virgin and Atco/Atlantic are two labels which come to mind). We were told that the records were made thinner to conserve resources. I still have some of those records and they sound terrible on any system they are played on. Look at the time and effort some labels spend to make terrific sounding albums. These companies realize, as was mentioned above, garbage in, garbage out.
Hi Rayd; Even though I'm not a vinyl fan now (I was in the 60's and 70's), that bit of info. about the poor quality of LPs because of the oil shortage is really interesting and amazing. I didn't know the oil shortage had those kinds of consequences. I remember waiting in line at the gas pumps though. Thanks.