Enjoyment

Does more accurate reproduction of music lead to greater enjoyment?

See thread on Fidelity for background
johnrob
Don't even go there; that road leads to obsession, isolation, and financial ruin. 9/10 eventually turn to I.V. drug use and live concerts. Just say "no" to accurate reproduction. Start a neighborhood watch in your own community and learn to read the signs.

Marco
It can lead to more musical satisfaction, especially the first time you slot a new (presumably very expensive) unit in your system. Just a shame that feeling doesn't last very long, you get annoyed with your 'old' equipment, that holds the true abilities of your new toy down. And no Marco, it doesn't lead to all kind of drugs, because we don't have the money for that kind of stuff. And for live concerts: all these people are making noise, the musicians playh a false note every now and then and te technicians screw up. So.... eeehhhh.... what is the point I'm trying to make? Gotta have a dose of hi-fi, before my brain crumbles.
The whole accuracy issue, I believe, comes down to musical preference. If you want to be convinced that you are sitting in front of a performacne of Mahler #8, with close to 1000 musicians on stage, then accuracy is important. If you want to hear one of the greats play Beethoven's piano sonatas, then you would want to hear every detail that makes that music great.

With my system, music that is electronic, amplified, filtered, over-miked, and poorly engineered sounds horrific. There is simply no need for that detail, and it is actually to the detriment of the performance. Someone should outlaw those stupid rhythm machines! Plus, alot of popular artists really don't have very nice voices. I won't name names, but I could understand the desire to smooth things over a bit. Who wants to hear all that.

Rob