The Great Cryo'd Outlet Test

Some have wondered about the Cryo'd outlet test that this skeptic has agreed to do, thanks to the generous loan of an outlet by another member. The situation is that the outlet, and its non-cryo'd twin have been breaking in for several weeks and I think we can agree they are ready for evaluation. Performing the tests will involve littering the room with various amps and speakers with the associated wires strung around, so, and I am sure you understand, I need to wait for a free day when my dear wife is elsewhere occupied.
A report will be made.
eldartford
Zaikes. As you know, I'm in disgrace. And I have the perfect response for all of my enemies who have conspired against me in this endeavor. I just haven't thought of it yet. :) (just kidding of course).

Seriously though, I remain a very committed believer in tweaking the electrical for sonic improvements. I've witnessed too many very real improvements to believe otherwise and I certainly cannot explain why.

This was a humbling experience to falsely read these two outlets. I'll admit I was a bit cocky going in knowing that I had the most resolving system I've heard to date. I actually thought it would take me all of about 40 minutes to determine which was which. In fact, I was almost naive enough to declare which was the cryo'ed outlet without ever installing the second one.

As I stated earlier, it would have been perhaps a better test to use non-plated outlets. To more easily distinguish any tizzyness from perceived benefits. Or perhaps, it's best with the plated versions for just such a reason as this.

I am still curious why I perceived better sonic benefits after a few days of burn-in. And I barely gave the second outlet 14-16 hours of burn-in time. Again, that is with my amp (the component where I always obtain biggest benefits from tweaks) plugged into the lower receptacle and the cdp in the upper receptacle. As I stated earlier, the screws were missing from the lower receptacles which would lead me to believe they were perhaps used less than the upper receptables, if at all. I really should install the second outlet again and let it burn-in for a few more days just for my own edification.

At the very least I've learned that even though this is just a hobby and a very enjoyable and even serious one at that, there are always credibility issues in every endeavor. At the very least it's taught me not to be so cocky or even reckless, and I need to be more thorough and methodical if I wish to maintain any credibility. I wondered why Eldartford took such a long time before he came to a conclusion. Now I know.

-IMO
Stehno: I'm going to repeat this again just because I think many people do not really understand it. To get an absolute read on what any receptacle (cryoed or uncryoed) is all about, it is imperative, in my opinion that you run the whole system off exactly the same receptacle or receptacles. I was convinced (for a few months actually) a few years ago that the Arrow Hart 8200 was a better receptacle than the Hubbell 8200/8300 series because I was too cheap to run ALL 8200/8300's in my system. When I did do that it became apparent to me that the Hubbells were better (smoother, much more refined, less forward in the midrange and much more natural).

I am speculating a bit here because I have no experience with the FIM, but from the little I do know, it has a reputation for being a "darker" sounding, more laid back receptacle, which either of the 8200's (cryoed or not) you have cannot be accused of. I wouldn't describe the 8200/8300 as aggresive, but it's probably more aggressive than the FIM. My guess is that the FIM you have would be more similar to a non-cryoed Hubbell 5262 or 5362 or the non-plated (non-cryoed) 8300's that Albert Porter uses.

In my opinion, properly cryoing the 8200 or 8300 (or any receptacle for that matter) gives you a blacker, quieter background, more detailed midrange, more extension and at the same time a cleaner presentation at the frequency extremes. What you described in the high frequencies as being "better" (decay, etc) with the non-cryoed unit is (once again in my opinion based on a bit of experience with this stuff) the slightly "noisier" presentation of the non-cryoed unit combined with a bit of distortion. It's a "zingier", more exciting presentation that is a bit impressive at first (quite detailed, midrange a bit forward, etc. especially after living with the FIM) but ultimately, in my experience, shows itself to be less "truthful" and fatiguing. That is the problem with 1) quick comparisons as compared to living with a receptacle for 2-3 months and becoming accustomed to what it is really doing and 2) combining 2 receptacles (the FIM and the Hubbell 8200/8300) in one system when those receptacles have very different presentations.

My advice to you obviously, when you get your new outlets is to make sure that you're running the whole system on them and eliminate the FIM from the equation. That way, you'll really be able to get a take on them.
I hate to contribute to these never-ending threads, but...

With all due respects to HDM, no matter how many times you repeat it, I think it's obvious that continuing this debate is yielding very little. If you personally hear dramatic changes in an outlet every few hours, or few days, or 2-3 months, then knock yourself out. Heck, even if you enjoy your music better sitting on a cryo'd couch, then who am I to say otherwise. I think your position on cryo is clear and people can judge for themselves at this point.

FWIW, I wouldn't say science can explain 100% of everything (and scientist do disagree); however, you have to give some (if not more) credence that it could all be in your head.

Psychology and emotion are often more powerful than science and logic. Look how many people believe in ghosts, UFOs and Elvis being alive. We're all guilty of it to some degree, so their is no shame in admitting it. Even the venerable JGH failed a DBT test many years ago that was publicized in Stereophile (take heart Stehno).

Look, the Jedi Mind Trick works just as well on Earth as it does on Tattoine. It's called being gullible and almost every industry tries to exploit it. If you don't acknowledge that possibility at all and maintain a level of professional skepticism, then you run the risk of losing credibility when people actually hear things for themselves (like Stehno did) and came to contrary and embarassing results.
Yes, I will pack it in Labtec, but, with all due respect, I have never in 2-3 years of posting about outlets said that I hear dramatic changes in an outlet every few hours, or every 2-3 months, so please don't put words in my mouth that have never been there. Debates rage about DBT as well, and you certainly could not describe the experimentation I've done as DBT. If Stehno identified a difference, then it is only a partial failure as compared to Eldartford's complete failure, but as the naysayers say, it is all psychological anyway.

That's it, I'll sign off on this issue and refrain from posting anymore.