Whats the Story w/ Headphones?

Because of several issues right now I am looking to get a pair of good headphones. Is there that much difference between them, I assume there is. I have been reading about the Seenheiser HD 600 (Class A in Stereophile) the newer HD 650. Also the Grado RS 1 (also Class A ). I dont mind spending that much but are they really worth it. Do you have to have alot of other equipment w/them? H/S amps, cables? I just want a decent sound,on all music. Would it be a waste just to plug them into a CD Player. Any advice on the subject or reviews on any headsets would be appreciated!!
128x128rsa
Big topic. What's your budget? I'd recommend the HD650s (HD600s are cheaper now). The Grados are more forward sounding; I prefer the Senns. There is also the Etymotics if you need to shut out background noise. Stax for high-end electrostat sound.

I recommend an aftermarket cable for the Senns, like the Equinox. A headphone amp will always outperform the headphone out of any component, especially with the Senns. There are many good brands.

it's a whole nother world. Check out Head-fi.org : )
Grado RS1 is definitely overpriced ones. They're uncomfortable to wear and sound not too much better than Senn HD600. I use Stax SRM1 and SR5 headphones and adore that drive and instrument separation. For regular stereo-finger headphones I like AKG K240. You can get them for arround $100 and they surely can compete with Grado and Senns.
i really enjoy mine. it's great for listening when you don't want to disturb anyone. i would recommend a decent headphone amp though - check the archives here there's tons.
Post removed 
I don't know about the Sennheiser's or the Grado's, but i basically agree with Marakanetz' statements. If you can find a good set at a reasonable price, electrostatic headphones or electret condensor headphones are the way to go. For E-stat's, look for Stax or Koss. For Electret's, look for Signet or Audio Technica. If shooting for dynamic type headphones, i've always liked the AKG K240's too, although i haven't listened to any newer offerings for a LONG time. Obviously, personal preference and the various styles ( over ear, on ear, in ear, etc... ) all come into play, so only you will know what you like. Sean
>

PS... For all of you "old timers" out there, i've still got a pair of Lafayette ( remember them??? ) E-stat headphones (!!!) from the early 1970's that work GREAT. I've also got a pair of Audio Technica ATH-6's too. Don't use either of them too much, but after thinking about it, they would both make for a great computer based audio system for late night listening. Thanks for bringing this up Rsa !!! : )