Ground Loop Humm/Buzz from Television

Hello:

Any suggestions on the following: I have noticed a humm/buzz in my speakers that I suspect is some kind of ground loop. However, it appears ONLY when the television itself is on and disappears when I turn it off. I tried lifting the ground on the tv (which, by the way, is tied to a properly ground satellite cable/box) but to no avail. I haven't found any precedent in any of the archives so any thoughts out there?

Thanks.
John
jpshinn
If you are connected to a coax cable TV feed, it is likely that the cable is causing the issue. This is VERY common and has been widely acknowledged on this and other forums. You can purchase an in line isolation unit that will solve this issue. I know there is one made by Mondial and I have read that Radio Shack sells a similar unit. I think the Mondial sells for about $99 new. Here's a link to an A-goN ad for a used one. BTW, I'm not associated with the seller.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?accstwek&1060908005

I hope this helps.

TIC
Hi ReubenT:

Thanks for the response but if you had read the entirety of my post, you would have noted that it is NOT a cable tv connection. It is a properly ground satellite connection. Indeed, when I had cable many moons ago, I used the mondial unit and it was not helpful. Trust me, I took quite some time to search the various archives and I found nothing similar to my post. Nevertheless, thank you for responding.

I am beginning to wonder whether there is a shielding issue with my tv (it is about 10 years old) and it is throwing off a lot of something . . .

Best.
John
A TV can generate a LOT of electro-magnetic garbage that could be picked up by your other equipment. It may not be easy to do but putting some distance between the TV and the rest of your stuff, at least temporarily, would tell you. Good excuse to go out get a new plasma TV!