Source for Variac

I have a collection of about 20 MacIntosh tube pieces. I rotate them in two systems to keep them running. However, I am told that I should regenerate the caps after storing for a while by gradually increasing the voltage with a Variac or equivalent. Putting full voltage on the caps can short them and the old ones are no longer available (are they?). Can y'all steer me to a source for a variac?
jphilips
Search on Ebay - plenty there for cheap money. you want something like single phase, 120v, 10A or 20A. If you run the gear at least once a year or so, no need to reform caps with variac. If you left it idle for 5+ years, then maybe. Some old types of caps are no longer available new, but anything can be replaced, it's just a question of whether or not you can live w/ it not being the original "Mcintosh" part.
If you do not use any type of electronic gear for an extended period of time, powering up with a variac is never a bad idea. This is especially true if the devices are old and / or exposed to very high voltage levels ( like tubes ). So long as the gear is getting a good workout on a somewhat regular basis, it is not really a big deal. However, the older the gear & the less it is used, the greater the potential for damage.

As with most electronics, high heat levels are a major problem for capacitors. Items should not be stored in an area that is exposed to high temperatures ( like an attic ) or someplace that has a heat duct blowing directly on the items. Newer capacitors can deal with this a little better than older caps, but none of them really "like" this kind of treatment.

If you have other tubed gear and / or buy older used gear, a variac is kind of a handy thing to have. Just make sure that you fuse the input to the variac ( from the AC wall outlet ) and the output which feeds the gear being powered up. It is quite possible to smoke a variac when powering up gear that is not "healthy". Everything might be fine until you hit a certain voltage point and then "poof".... As you might guess, it's cheaper to blow a fuse than to smolder the variac. Sean
>