Question about polarity-inverting preamps

You will see that I am technically challenged...

Many tube preamps invert polarity. Why don't (or why can't) the designers simply reverse the leads at the out jacks to make the polarity correct? Then we wouldn't have to reverse them ourselves at the amplifier or speaker.

--dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
I read somewhere that some preamps invert because it eliminates the implementation of another stage for the signal to pass thru. Maybe someone knows why this inversion occurs in the first place? The designers avoid the issue by having the accompanying model power amp invert too. Some preamps do offer polarity switches.
Many of these amps are single-ended, that is, they have one output signal referenced to ground. In such case, one cannot simply switch signal and ground to reverse polarity. The only way would be to add another stage which ain't the best way. Swapping the speaker leads does it better.
The above have it correct. Conrad Johnson and Blue Circle preamps are out of phase for this reason (less is more) and are among the best.

My moving coil phono stage is out of phase. Since moving coil cartridges have such a low output, adding the additional gain stage to correct the phase would add unnecessary noise to the phono circuit. To correct this I reverse the leads on the tonearm going into the cartridge.

Some preamps (Atma-sphere & Sonic Frontiers to name a few) have phase inverter switches to let you A/B the sound. This is a really nice feature. Happy Tunes!